The Return

Fallon Gilbert was never a quitter

Fallon Gilbert was never a quitter. She rarely took time off from anything, whether it be school, jobs or college, she never once had a day off.

When she received the call about her parent's deaths last summer, that was the first time she had ever taken time off of work. She was working at a law firm, the one she still works for, and she was on her break when she received the devastating call.

Her boss let her have the summer off, but when the time came and the new school year started she had to go back to her life at work. In all honesty Fallon didn't mind. It took her mind off of the pain and grief of losing her parents. So, she submerged herself into bucket loads of work and studied relentlessly for her exams and lo and behold, she graduated top of her class.

So this time when she asked for time off work she decided that it was time to go home to Mystic Falls.

Jenna had called Fallon in a frenzy saying that her Uncle John had had an accident and had been badly hurt, while Elena's friend Caroline had been in a car accident and they weren't sure that she was going to make it.

Fallon had assured Jenna that everything would be okay and that she would be over there as soon as possible to come and support her family and friends.

Which is how she found herself now, pulling up in the parking lot of Mystic Falls General and speedily walking into Accident and Emergency to see if she could find any of her family.

When she walked in, she saw Jenna talking with Elena and she immediately rushed towards them.

"Hey, what happened are you guys okay?" Fallon asked once she approached the two. Jenna sighed in relief and Elena widened her eyes in shock.

"Fallon? Wha- what are you doing here? I thought you were in Chicago?" Elena asked in surprise as she brought Fallon into a bone crushing hug which Fallon gladly returned.

"I was but then Jenna called so I came. How's Care?" She asked in concern and Elena sighed and shook her head. She looked tired.

"They're operating on her now. They don't know if she's going to make it Lonnie." Elena said calling the older girl by her childhood nickname her family came up with. Fallon squeezed Elena's shoulder in comfort and pressed a kiss to her forehead.

"Don't worry Birdie, everything will be alright. Where's Liz? I want to speak with her." Fallon asked and Elena pointed to where she was and she tilted her head once she realised that she was talking to someone dressed in all black from head to toe but she could only see the back of his head.

She shrugged and started to walk over to them both but he left the conversation before she could introduce herself. Liz noticed the girl and Fallon smiled in comfort before going to hug the woman.

They broke the hug and Liz squeezed Fallon's hand as a thank you.

"Thanks for coming, Fallon. I'm sure you've heard the news by now." The Sheriff said and Fallon nodded. "I'm so scared for her." Liz said teary eyed.