Chapter 8

Hello, Little One. I groaned and rolled over. Tinker Bell, I need more pixie dust. A masculine chuckled floated through. Little One, wake up for a moment. Why is a voice calling me Little One? Shelly, you're my Little One. I have something important to tell you. I groaned some more as Tinker Bell and my dream disappeared. Blinking my eyes opened, I stared up at the high ceiling. Gavril, you woke me up from Slumberland. This better be good.

 I'm sorry. I needed to tell you that I must go away for a while. Will be in Italy with my Father on a grand opening there. It will be a week at least. Will you be alright while I'm gone?

 Dude, I'm a big girl. You go on your merry way. Enjoy the weather—hope it's not too hot. Get a tan—beware of tan lines. You wear a speedo or trunks? I rubbed the sleep from my crusty eyes. There was a bark of laughter making me wake up more—oops I wasn't suppose to ask that. I think it would be in my benefit if I left that unsaid and let you figure it out. I worry because we won't be able to talk to each other. You won't be able to hear my thoughts. It may seem weird.

 There is the normal way to talk still. It's called a cellphone.

 You wouldn't mind me calling you? He sounded so happy, I had to smile.

 Yeah. Go ahead. I don't remember my cell number, but I'm sure you with all that connections and stuff will be able to figure or find out that info. Knock yourself out. In the mean time, imma go back to sleep. I rolled over and was in between wake and sleep. I could've sworn I heard something, but maybe I just imagined it.

 The next few days, Mom and I fixed up and moved things around. The house officially looked lived in and cozy. Casper hated the vacuum cleaner so whenever we fired that up, he would run to the other end of the house, hissing. Mom's old job sent us a going away package—double decker dark chocolate brownies!!! A lawyer's wife made them and they were to die for! Mom had to hide them from me after I ate 3 brownies. Gavril managed to get my cell number and had sent me sporadic text ever since that late night wake up thought. We've texted back and forth. I know understand what he meant about the weird part about not being able to talk to each other like we did. The presence that was him in my mind was now gone. The first day I was gloomy and depressed. Mom helped to distract me. Casper had stuck close and was a darling.

I am now able to function even when my head felt a bit emptier or more hollow. Gavril assured that this lopsided feeling will be gone as soon as he comes back to the States. Mom started a painting spree, lighting up the living room walls from light brown to pastel yellow. We made a lot of mistakes and huge mess, but now we've got in the groove.

When a week was almost up, Gavril texted me, explaining how they must stay another week because of another project in the area needing a re-evaluation. I shrugged and said good luck and go easy with the translators. They didn't need any because they spoke the language fluently. A good part about having my head to myself was all the thoughts I've recently been having. All pertaining to Gavril. What does he wear at the beach?! Gavril was pretty hot with that dark thick hair and silver blue eyes. Does he get a lot of admirers? Glimpses of memories of his showed many beautiful women around him. The thought made me jealous so I forced myself to stop thinking those thoughts. Mom found me dazed a few times when that occurred. I think she suspects but thankfully kept quiet.

Patrick the Vamp came by and gave us a welcome cake he made. He was actually really sweet in both personality and taste! He and his brother owned a backer and coffee in the shopping area called Sweet Tooth. When we had time or just want to drop by, we promised to go by their shop. He helped to install the ceiling fan for our living room. "Hey Patrick, do you know much about the school? For the paranormal studies?" I asked as I held the next fan blade for him to put in place.

"I've been called to help combat training," he answered gruffly. What...combat training? "What do you mean by that?" I asked with trepidation.

"Learn to fight. Every paranormal needs to keep those skills sharp against rogues and those that choose to not live in packs but in covenants."

"What?!" I gaped. He looked down at me with a frown on his face. "What's the matter?"

"I'll be going there this summer." He stared down at me, not blinking. It seemed he finally connected the dots when his eyes widened. "Ah."

"Yeah. Humans don't have to train for—you guys get attacked?" I frowned. What's all this about? He shot a look at my Mom who was giving him an evil glare. As soon as she realized I was looking at her, she sighed and ran a hand through her hair, making some paint get in her hair. "Sorry, Melinda."

"It's okay," she replied. I looked between the two of them, waiting for him or Ma to tell me what this is all about.

"Covenants and rogues...they aren't the peaceful of sorts. I didn't want you to be fearful of paranormals so I never talked about them," Mom said, "Rogues are those that choose to live by themselves. Usually they aren't the friendliest of beings. Covenants...their ideals are different from those that live in packs. They resist change. They do not believe paranormals should even interact with humans. Others...well...they believe paranormals shouldn't be covering up their existence just to help humans not 'freak out.'"

"They also believe many of us that live in packs are traitors to our ancestors," Patrick added, "They are dangerous. They could attack at any time. We always have to be ready."

"So you have...being already being trained since they were toddlers," I frowned. I don't know anything about fighting. "What other classes are there?"

"Magic, strategy, spell work...however, I think you may have...more...to learn before August," Patrick gestured for the next blade.

"Yeah..."

"I heard Leader Heaton's personally taking you under his wing," Patrick said nonchalantly. I raised my eyebrow, looking at Mom. Mom rolled her eyes and tossed a yellowed up rag into the can with other used rags. "Who was gossiping this time?" she asked.

"The old crows," Patrick smiled. Crow-weres are notorious for their ability to gossip, gather information, and spread information. "And...Tasha LuTreene." Mom really groaned out loud this time. She let out a yell, jolting me and Casper and making Patrick chuckle. "That witch again! I swear she's a thorn in my side all the time!!!"

"M-mom?" She spun around and gave me a stern look. Gulp. "Stay away from Tasha LuTreene and her daughter Gina LuTreene. They're trouble with all caps. I bet she's making it sound like my daughter's an idiot and I'm using this to get close to the Pack Leader, isn't she?" Mom questioned. Patrick nodded his. "Pretty much. Just to warn you, her daughter was held back one year."

"What?"

"She didn't pass her spell work or magic," Patrick's mouth twitched. Mom was bellowing with laughter. As soon as the two were able to talk, they explained what was going on. Gina LuTreene was Mom's spell works teacher. Gina had a grudge against Gypsies—racism of sorts. She despised Mom because a "half breed" shouldn't be a Nature Speaker, a high role in packs, and interact so much with the Pack Leader. Her daughter should be two years older than me, but didn't seem to have gained the ability of magic her mother prided the LuTreene family of having. "My daughter could already do magic as soon as she learned how to surf youtube!" my Mom laughed with glee. I felt a Mom War brewing on the horizon.