29

"Take me to war, honey I dare you."

Entrancing...

The freckled sky was barely visible through a thick canopy of pine needles. An exit from this forest was becoming nothing more than a dream at this point.

How long has it been? An hour? Four? It was impossible to tell during a new moon. I almost hoped for a wolf to howl or a stick to break. Anything is better than the silence, cold, and dark of the forest. That's when I heard it.

The magical siren sound, a voice so airy it must have been a hallucination. The more I walked, the louder it became; words just beyond comprehension but so familiar and mesmerizing.

"You may be ready to save your kingdom.. but is your kingdom ready for saving?"

The heir watched through the trees as the village was slowly engulfed in flames. They felt nothing in their hurt, but hurt and betrayal, loss and abandonment. Her kingdom had abandoned her, left her to rot in the darkest depth of hell. Only for her to rise through it, and repay the favor. Even now as people ran around screaming, even as the ash began to look like snow, she smiled.

You say you wanted to help me, yet where were you all those sleepless nights I had? Where were you when I lost all the battles in my mind? Where were you when the screaming in my head would not go silent? Where were you when the dark overtook the light? Where were you when I was broken on the ground with no one to turn to?