Chapter 5: Too Drunk to Drink

Start from the beginning

She dropped Reena at the tea shop nearby and picked the tea leaves up. When she drove past a high-class entertainment club under Emperor Entertainment City, she stopped.

Even though the place was not technically the centre of the city, it was still crowded.

Arya walked in when it was bustling inside. The resident singer on stage was passionately singing a moving song, unlike the usual bars that always blasted music when one entered. This entertainment club was quieter compared to other clubs.

Arya had been here a few times although she did not frequent such places. If it were not for the fact that she felt a stifled upset feeling in her heart, she would not have come.

Arya sat down in a dark corner of the bar when the bartender smiled and asked her,

"Miss, what would you like to drink?"

"A bottle of whiskey please," Arya said softly. When she saw the bartender's slightly shocked reaction, she just shifted her gaze downwards.

"Miss, whiskey is pretty strong. I'd suggest you get something else. Girls don't really order this." The bartender was a very handsome fellow and was doing his job as he smiled and added,

"A lot of girls like to drink things like Tears of a Lover or what not. Do you want to try that?"

"There's no need. Just get me the whiskey," Arya simply said and she lifted a hand to her hurting head.

"Miss, for your whiskey, do you need..."

Before the bartender could finish, Arya had already raised her hand to stop him from continuing, then she picked up the bottle and poured herself a drink. She frowned and pulled her attention back to her drink, downing the glass.

Once she emptied the glass, the burn instantly spread down from her throat and then to her chest. In that instant, it seemed as if her entire being was being burnt away.

The dazzling lights flickered and lit up this sombre corner. On stage, the song changed one after another. Arya did not know how many glasses she had drunk, but no matter how many she downed, she could still vaguely feel clear-headed.

There were some things that she would like to forget, yet she could not no matter what. Not only could she not forget them, but at this moment, the thoughts appeared incredibly clearly in her mind, swallowing whatever remaining self-control she had.

Ethan severing all relations with her, Victoria's tearful look begging for her forgiveness, her father's hostility, her mother's indifference, and everyone's warmth gradually fading away...

She had asked herself more than a thousand times if she could redeem herself and make all of her past stay, yet her answer always remained the same: cold air.

How could she make it all stay; how should she move them?

She had tried everything and put great effort in, but no matter what she did, she still could not change anything. She still could not get her parents to reconcile, and she could not force Ethan to return to her side and love her deeply.

Perhaps he had never belonged to Arya. How could that count as getting him to return to her side then?

Arya lowered her head and chuckled at herself. Her slightly hazy line of sight passed through the swirling liquid in her glass and she looked in dismay at her unbearably haggard appearance. Suddenly, she felt exceptionally bitter.

Look at you, Arya...

Look at your battered self-right now. You look just like a clown buried in stagnant water. When will you truly understand that once some things leave you, no matter how hard you try, they'll never come back?