Chapter 3: Arya, Don't Be Sad

Comenzar desde el principio

"Ethan, you'll never know what you've missed out on! I consider myself blind for having known the two of you heartless scumbags!"

In a hoarse voice, Mia left these words before she got into the car.

"Arya, how are you? Say something!"

In the car, she inched towards Arya and both her hands gripped Arya's shoulders tightly. When she saw that she was not moving at all, she started to panic.

Arya pushed Mia's hands that were on her shoulders away and she turned away to look out of the car window. Calmly, she assured me,

"I'm fine. Driver, let's get going. Go to Emperor Entertainment City in the north."

The moment she said that the driver upfront immediately started his engine.

As the car slowly drove past him, Ethan could vaguely see Arya, who sat in the car with her head turned the other way, looking out.

He hesitated for a moment. He hesitated whether he should chase after, yet after a momentary contemplation, the mixed emotions in his eyes quieted down. At last, everything returned to its previous calm state.

Suddenly, by his ear came the soft sound of Victoria choking on her sobs.

"Ethan, I... did I do something wrong? Sister, she..."

Ethan turned around and saw gloom written all over the delicate face of Victoria. Her beautiful eyes were teary, yet she still bit down hard on her lip, determined to force her tears to stay in. When he saw this face, it inevitably made his heart ache for her sake.

He did know what to say. He could only tighten his grip around her waist and pull her further into his arms.

Victoria then hugged him and leaned tightly in his embrace; her stifled cries muffled.

He looked ahead pensively at the car that had already vanished into the hazy drizzle. Then, Ethan coldly retrieved his gaze, focusing on Victoria who buried herself in his embrace to cry. His apathetic face started to ease and he said softly,

"Okay, don't cry now. We'll slowly explain these things to her later on. She's a very sensible person, so she'll see it and will understand."

"But, but... when I saw her like that earlier, I was really devastated. Father says she hasn't been home for a long time already. She's definitely still blaming Father and Mother because of us..."

"Let's not talk about these things first. Get into the car. Uncle and Aunty are waiting for us at Emperor."

Ethan took out a handkerchief from his pocket and carefully wiped away her tears. He opened the car door and coaxed,

"Get into the car first."

Victoria sniffed and swallowed the lump in her throat before she tearfully got into the car.

...

The car sped towards the north city's Emperor Entertainment City. Along the way, Arya did not say anything. The car was filled with an indescribable gloom. It was so stifling that Mia felt an acrid and bitter taste in her throat.

She wanted to console her, yet she saw Arya had already leaned back and maintained her composure of looking out the car window. Her cold lips were sealed tightly. Through the dim lights outside the car with various depths that kept reflecting her in their brightness, in that instant, if one looked over, she seemed particularly desolate and distracted.

"Arya, don't be sad... I'm sorry, I... I know I shouldn't have acted like that, but I really couldn't control myself. Seeing them in their cheap happiness, I just couldn't hold back. I was about to explode and go crazy! How could they still live so happily without feeling ashamed at all after hurting you?"