Warm feeling of relief // FLUFF

The last city fell in flames and chaos, along with Thomas's best friend in it. He didn't have much time to think and accept what happened as he snapped in and out of consciousness, atleast a couple days flying by before he managed to stay awake for longer than an hour. The only place he was familiar with so far was the hut he was in and sunlight that made it's way inside through small holes in a cloth that served as a wall.

A throbbing headache accompanied him as he finally sat up, he looked around properly for the first time. His mind fuzzy, he had to rub his eyes for his vision to sharpen. He looked over at a night stand that was beside his bed, a night stand with one shelf. He reached to open it, a sharp pain stinging in his stomach, the memory of getting shot returning vividly into his brain. He pulled the drawer open and his heart sank, his eyes burned but no tears seemed to fill them. The capsule necklace laid there, waiting to be picked up by Thomas. He took it, holding it by the torn strings as the metal glistered in sunrays. A lump formed in his throat, a uncomfortable emptiness filling his body. Newt, he was gone. Joined the stars while all he could do was watch, and even avenging him failed. He failed Newt.

Only then he started to hear voices from outside, with a heavy heart he put the necklace around his neck, trying the strings off. He slipped the capsule under his shirt and got up, he felt dizzy and stumbled forward until he got hold of a wall to support him. He took a deep breath and slowly pushed the door open.

The bright sun blinded him, the sound of waves crashing against a beach and a warm wind. It took a moment for him to adjust to the brightness, he looked around in awe. Strangers and familiar faces in the distance, sitting around an extinguished campfire. They chatted, laughing and smiling, and the emptiness slowly started to leave. He let his hand slide down the wood and he let go, slowly making his way over to them.

A familiar face focused on him, a bright smile appearing on it. It took a minute for Thomas to remember his name, "Minho.." He said with a weak voice, Minho shot up and rushed towards him, embracing him into a tight hug. "Thomas." He sighed in relief, the people who were sat in their places started to cheer. He recognised Brenda and Jorge, Aris too along with two other girls that he could not recall the name off. Minho pulled away, his eyes glinstering with joy. A warm feeling filled Thomas, a warm feeling of relief and victory. He realised that he made it to the Safe Haven, a huge ship on the coast confirming it.

Thomas's gaze saddened, "I'm sorry, Minho." He said, Minho looked at him confused. "I'm sorry I couldn't save him, I couldn't save Newt. I tried– I really did. I–" Tears filled his eyes and his voice broke, Minho looked back to the group of people, then back at Thomas who had tears running down his face. "Hey Thomas," Minho spoke softly, "I know you tried, and you didn't fail." Thomas's bloodshot eyes met Minho's, "What?" he mumbled. Minho motioned for him to follow before turning around and walking off. Thomas followed without question, wiping his tears from his face.

They made their way to a hut, similar to the one Thomas woke up in. Thomas was eager to ask questions, he opened his mouth but Minho pushed the door open and the air inside his lungs froze. He froze entirely, before his eyes was the boy he thought he lost forever. Newt was sat on the bed across from the door, his wide eyes glued to Thomas as his mouth hung open. Thomas slowly walked inside, afraid to say any words. He wasn't sure if it was real anymore, his head spun and he stood still in the middle of the hut as the door behind him shut.

Newt got up, his bare chest bandaged and hair messy but it was him. "Tommy." He said quietly, Thomas teared up. He embraced him into a tight hug, he tried to push a single word out of his mouth but all that came out were sobs. Newt hugged him back, his hands trembling. They stood in silence, their heartbeats and breaths syncing after a moment. Thomas lifted his forehead off of Newt's shoulder, their eyes met, both sparkling with tears.

"But, I saw you.." Thomas's voice was raspy and quiet, Newt smiled in return. "I was found and somehow lived, they gave me the cure and fixed me up. Love to Minho for carrying me all the way to the Berg, even though I could've been long gone." Newt let out a small chuckle, the joy that it brought Thomas was priceless. Without thinking much beforehand, he pressed his lips against Newt's. The blond kissed back, lowering his arms and wrapping them around Thomas's waist. It was a simple kiss, nothing more, but it was everything they could've currently asked for.

———

Thank you Fern for requesting this!
Cute cute chapter :>

Word count: ~890