14: The Hospital Visit

After Alicia and I entered the hospital, with the smell of alcoholic sanitation filling our noses, she helped me sign into the Emergency/Trauma Visitor and Waiting Center.

I signed my name, address, parents and who I was there to see. By my surprise, not a lot of people were around and signed in. The woman at the desk asked me to put some hand sanitizer in my hands. I pumped the jelly liquid into my palm as Alicia gave me a hug goodbye.
Sitting down in a chair, I examined the room , waiting for any news but at the same time, trying to keep my mind off of Sabrina.

There was three rows of chairs, back to back with little tables with magazines on it. A Check-In desk was to my left and a woman with a tight bun sat behind a glass window in it.
I sat, humming to myself, randomly, creating tunes to keep my mind off of Sabrina when a doctor walked into the room and beckoned me to follow him.

My heart started beating through my chest and I felt like the nerves were going to make me throw up. We passed several rooms until we reached the one that Sabrina was being rolled into. Paramedics and doctors were walking around her, rapidly talking and giving instructions to others.

Sabrina, all bloody and attached to many IV's and tubes, was rushed into the room then the door closed. I was shaking inside and out from the fear that she might not come back normally and it would've my fault.
"We have determined her condition," the doctor said. He was so quiet that I forgot he was there.
"Do I want to know?"
"That depends on your capability to withstand excessive trauma reports."
I had no idea what that meant but it sounded bad.
"Tell me."
"She will have bad brain damage but not horrific. It will belters bad though seeing that we can already tell she has a concussion. He wrist is dislocated and a huge gash is going down her leg." The doctor stopped after looking at my expression. "Shall I go on?"
"If there is more."
"She has 5 broken ribs and a 60% chance of living."
I tried being optimistic and said, "At least that's more than half."
The doctor, I could tell was pessimistic. He had no emotion and drones on like it didn't matter that my sister was in a car accident with a 60% survival chance. He made his problem even worse when he said, "But that's less than good. The survival rate that is good is usually 80%."

I mean what kind of jerk says that. Walking away, I pulled out my phone and started playing Fruit Ninja to get my mind off of things. After about 10 minutes I got a text on Charlotte, my mom and my dad, all in a group message:
Mom: What happened?
Dad: Is Sabrina okay?
Me: Are you coming home?
Dad: We just left.
Me: It's hard to explain... Fill u in when u get here.
Dad: Plz tell us!
Me: Seriously dad, I don't wanna talk about it now.
Mom: So it's bad.
Charlotte: Either mom or dad is texting and driving so just leave it till u get there.
Me: R u coming Char?
Charlotte: In the parking lot.
Me: THANK-YOU!
Charlotte: See u soon.
Me: Yeah

I sat in the chair waiting for Charlotte to walk in when I felt my phone buzz in my back pocket. It was from Matthew Viorvo. Curious, I opened the message, surprised to hear back from him already. As I read the message, I was shocked, with a slight idea of what he meant.
Matthew Viorvo: I'm sorry.
---------------------------------------------
Oooohhh! Plot twist! Comment what you think this means. I have over 200 reads so thank y'all! This means my next "chapter" will be a special one. Also comment what it should be and what you would enjoy reading from it. There is one rule and that is it has to be 500 words or less.
~Hailey