13: The Accident

Driving 30 seconds down the street felt like it was slow motion. The car moved at the speed of a snail, my throat making weird gulping sounds and tears were streaming from my eyes. The police officer kept saying everything was okay even though it wasn't.

The car pulled to a stop in the middle of the street where a car, Sabrina's was flipped over and another car was sitting in the road with a busted bumper and hood.

I walked over to Sabrina's car where next to it, a pair of glasses with tape around the nose, lay shattered. An old, vintage purse had contents scattered all along the road. Sabrina was no where in sight.

"Your sister is in the ambulance, heading to the hospital. Where are your parents?"

"At a casino in C-C-Connecticut. Can I go in the ambulance? I want to see her!"

"I don't think that is a good idea..." the cop said but I could tell he wanted to say yes.

"She's my sister! Let me in the damn ambulance!" I said, tugging at the doors, willing them open.

"I dint think you want to see her..." an EMT said. "Once we get her to the hospital, we can let you in, but not now."

"Why?" I asked. "But then i noticed a pool of blood, next to the driver's seat of Sabrina's car. "No,no,no!"

"Let me give you a lift to the hospital. Okay honey? Then i can explain," this woman was very nice but I wanted to see Sabrina.

"I just want to see my sister..." I whined.

"You will, I promise. Just not now, so hop in my car and we'll head over."

"Okay," I picked up my bag which was lying on the ground next to the other person's car, then hopped in the other ambulance with the EMT then drove away.

Once we were far enough away, the lady said that she got an emergency call from the person in the other car, the one that hit Sabrina, saying he swerved to far to the right because he was on the phone and flipped a teenage girl off the road in her car.

"He seemed shocked. We took him away first because he had minor injuries. Your sister though, took away because we had trouble getting her out of the car. She had a bad head injury and a broken wrist from what we could see but they are taking her over to the hospital now to be dealt with."

"You make that sound like a bad thing," I said insulted.

"It is a bad thing that she's hurt but the doctors at Boston Hospital are great so you don't have to worry about a thing."

"Yeah I do, my sister was in car wreck and I don't know if she will be okay."

I could tell Alicia was holding something back but I decided not to pry. Instead, I let her talk,"We are almost there. When you get there, I will go to the check in center with you but then I have to go tell the police everything I know."

"Speaking of everything you know, can I ask you a few questions?"

"Of course."

"That car looked familiar. Who hit her?"

"I'm not sure about that. Didn't look up license plate number to match it with a person yet. Next question?"

"Was the pool of blood around the car from her head?"

"And her arm. She also has a huge gash along her leg. Might've been from that too."

"Is the head injury bad?"

"Not horrible or devastating but definitely a concussion and maybe some memory loss. Nothing important though. Maybe she will call you mom or Charlotte Emma. The date, time and month might be messed up too."

"That's not as bad as I thought. Will she still be able to do art?"

"Depending on her brain damage but most likely yes. I just realized that they might need to do a surgery if she does have brain damage."

"Why?"

"The skull would have had to have been shattered enough to puncture or scrape the brain."

"Ok. That's enough information for me. Thank-you," I said partially sarcastically.

"No problem sweetie. Hey wait a second."

"Yeah?" I said as I opened the car door to get out and head into the hospital. I paused and waited for her to catch up with me.

"Your Emma Washington!"

"Er... I know."

Alicia blushed and said "I'm a big fan of your singing," she said when I realized she must be no older than age 25.

"Thanks! Whats your name?"

"Alicia."

"Why thank you Alicia!" I smiled, remembering that I was pretty well known. That'll be something get used to. Now onto see Sabrina.