Chapter 23: Pirates

Start from the beginning

I wanted to know what made him a Yonko—a captain. I wanted to know why his crew mates followed him so loyally or why they smiled so fondly at him. Shanks was obviously friendly and easy going and very mature, but what made him so respected and admired? I wanted to know.

And why was it so important that I made it here to him? How does he see me? What does he think of me? But most importantly: why does he have to leave tonight?

It felt as though time was always against me. Fighting to make my life more and more difficult. Teaming up with fate to create some cruel reality where I'm forever destined to stay in this hole I've been living in.

"Y/n? Are you listening?"

I grabbed the hand that Shanks was waving in my face with a sigh as I shook my head defeatedly.

There's no use in thinking about it this hard.

"Where do you plan on going after this?"

Shanks grinned as he leaned down closer to my face, a playful energy coming forth, "Why? Are ya gonna miss us?"

I chuckled slightly before looking up to him, meeting his onyx eyes and smiling softly at him, "Yeah, I am gonna miss you."

The powerful pirate recoiled slightly at this, looking at me in wonder and shock before bashfully rubbing his neck and looking off to the side, "Ah, well you could always come with us you know? The offers still on the table."

I shook my head with a sad smile, "I'm afraid I can't, Shanks." I handed him my cup gently as he subconsciously took it, "Thank you for having me tonight. It's getting quite late and you guys should get some rest if you'll be setting sail tomorrow. I should also get some rest, considering my wedding takes place tomorrow."

Shanks continued to stare at me, an unreadable expression on his face as he watched me talk.

"Goodnight Shanks. Have a safe trip."

When I tried to walk away the Yonko gently grabbed my shoulder with an almost desperate smile, "Do ya really have to go? You sure you don't wanna join my crew?"

The smile on his attractive face made me second guess myself, but it would be hypocritical to leave with the red haired man now. I shook my head with a bittersweet smile, letting my eyes tell the older male how I was truly feeling. He seemed to notice as his grip on my shoulder loosened and his smile fell.

Before I could let his sad eyes convince me to stay, I walked away and headed towards the end of the ship. On my way out, I locked eyes with the same golden orbs that made me nervous and on edge.

They lingered on my figure, glowing with curiosity and interest. The man's frown seemed slightly less tense and as he watched me leave, holding eye contact with me.

I nodded my head to him politely to make the situation less awkward before turning away from his gaze and back towards my kingdom. I could still feel his eyes on me as I hopped on the railing and jumped down to the docks.

The morning after, the Red Hair Pirates set sail and left Sinthaya. A small piece of paper was left on my balcony doors and all that was written on it was 'Shanks'.

At first I didn't understand what the paper was, thinking that 'Shanks' must've had a deeper meaning to it, but as I was analyzing the paper with furrowed brows Daiki came up from behind me and rested his chin on my shoulder having just woken up.

He sighed at the sight and spoke groggily, still tired, "That's a Vivre card. If you let it sit in your hand it'll point you to the direction of him."

I looked at the paper with interest before letting it sit in my hand and to my surprise it started moving, most likely in the direction of the pirate.