Chapter 16: Surprises

Start from the beginning

As he circled behind the hunters, lightning flashed again, revealing three cloaked figures. The light glinted off their shining weapons. Two huddled together against the cold rain, leaving the third wide open. They were still focused on the gas station, but it wouldn't be long before they realized he'd probably found another exit.

Theo launched himself forward, but one of the hunters whirled as he did. He slashed out, blood spraying. A shot fired, and Theo used the body of the second hunter as a shield before slamming the heads of the first two hunters together a resounding crack. They crumbled to the ground.

Another shot fired, but Theo was ready this time. He tucked and rolled to his feet in a crouch. With a roar, he tore the gun from the hunter's grasp and slammed the butt of it into their nose.

Rain dripped down Theo's hair and into his eyes, but he swiped it away and hauled the hunter up. Their hood fell away as a bolt of lightning struck nearby. It was the girl from the woods—the girl from the night that Liam first shifted. Her short, dark red hair reminded him of the color of blood, and the corner of her lips twisted into a smile.

"You," Theo snarled. "You followed us."

Red tinted his vision, and Theo fought to keep his rage in check.

"I didn't follow anyone," she whispered, her voice muffled from the blood pouring down her small nose and coating her teeth. "It's public knowledge that Scott's beta lives in Beacon Hills."

Theo was five seconds away from ripping her throat out when he realized that this hunter held valuable information. If she'd known where to find them, maybe she knew more.

"Why are the hunters avoiding Beacon Hills," Theo demanded.

She cocked a brow. "Already bored with the peace and quiet?"

The girl's eyes went wide then, and the scent of fear only fed the adrenaline coursing through him all the more. "Monroe declared Beacon Hills off limits to all hunters."

"Why—"

"She didn't say," the girl said. "Just that anyone who's caught near the white wolf will be terminated."

The blood in Theo's veins turned to ice.

"What does he have to do with anything? Why does it matter that he's a white wolf?" Theo snarled, his control already slipping. He squeezed tighter, and the girl cried out, writhing beneath his grip. She pounded her fists against this torso, but he didn't even feel it.

"I'm not even sure Monroe knows that," she panted. Theo listened carefully, but her heartbeat remained steady. She was telling the truth, and it stole the breath from his lungs. If Monroe didn't know then—

"Who's calling the shots?" Theo growled.

"Why do you think I'd be trusted with that information?" the girl said through gasps.

"I should kill you," Theo whispered. "You've been watching us, haven't you? Reporting back to Monroe?"

The girl tried to shake her head, but yelped when he increased the pressure along her spine. "Every month, she sends a scout to observe the beta."

Theo's mind whirled. He promised Liam that he wouldn't kill anyone unless it was absolutely necessary. He promised that he'd been trying to be a better person, but the bloodlust was overpowering every cell in his body, screaming at him to rip her spine out of her body. In another flash of lightning, Theo could've sworn he saw a figure—the outline of his sister.

The first person he'd killed, and she'd haunt him for the rest of eternity, he had no doubt.

Even if gave in, it wouldn't matter. Monroe already had all of the information, and Theo couldn't be entirely sure that his eyes wouldn't turn blue. He couldn't risk it. He couldn't risk breaking Liam's trust.