Chapter 4: Anchors

Note: this is the first half of my 6x15 re-write. It was too long for just one chapter. Hoping to post the second half in the next few days. Comments and likes make my day!

Theo

Apparently the last werewolves in Satomi's pack—Jiang and Tierney—had been arrested for murder. The hunters had taken them alive, for whatever reason, and they'd just barely escaped when Stilinski had pulled them over for speeding in the car they stole and recognized their descriptions.

"We still don't know if they actually killed anyone," Scott said.

"Check the color of their eyes," Malia said with a roll of her eyes like it was the obvious solution.

"I can't exactly put yellow eyes down in the evidence log," Stilinski said. "I need more than that to let them out."

Liam shrugged. "Then someone should just talk to them." Since they'd gotten the call about the two werewolves, Liam had been quiet. Not pouty, not sad, but quiet, and Theo had a bad feeling that since he hadn't been able to save Brett and Lori, he was going to do everything he could to save the last of Satomi's pack.

Talking to them could work, but it had to be handled extremely delicately. One wrong move, and the werewolves wouldn't talk to any of them after that.

Theo knew he was going to regret this, but technically he was the best option and the sooner they got out of the police station, the better.

"Put me in the cell with them," Theo said.

"Gladly," Malia said too eagerly with a flash of teeth.

Theo shot her a wicked side-eye but otherwise ignored her, speaking directly to Stilinski. "Pretend to arrest me and throw me in there. I'll get them to talk," Theo said, feeling the weight of Liam's confused and curious gaze on him. "As long as one of you lets me out, I'll do it."

"Or we don't have to pretend," Malia said. "We could throw you in jail for any—"

"It's a good idea," Liam interrupted. "If Theo's trying to help, then let him."

All eyes in the room flicked to Liam, and his cheeks reddened visibly.

With a bone-crushing grip, Parrish grabbed Theo's shoulder and escorted him toward the cell. As soon as he was in view of Jiang and Tierney, Theo made a show of trying to break free and cursing at Parrish that he was innocent.

Honestly, he deserved an Oscar.

Theo ran his fingers through his hair, straightening his jacket and sitting down on the hard bench. "Cops are such idiots. Sure, I stole a car, but they'll never be able to prove it," Theo said. "What're you two in for?"

A few minutes and lots of taunting later, Theo had ruffled Jiang's feathers enough that he snapped. "We're not murderers. If you'd been there, you'd know. They came after us."

Tierney barked at the boy to shut up, but Theo smirked.

"That's all I needed to know, thanks."

Theo stood, shrugging at the camera. For a long moment, nothing happened, and Theo panic mounted in his chest that Malia had gotten to the rest of the pack. That they really were going to leave him locked in this cell. That if he had to sleep in here tonight, when his sister came for him in his nightmares, he'd have nowhere to run and hide.

Finally, Parrish showed up with the key. "Took you long enough."

"Sorry, things just got more complicated," he said, sliding the bars open. Theo wanted to bolt from the cell, but he forced himself to walk smoothly and calmly until he was free again. He could only breathe again when the bars thudded shut behind him.