Chapter 7: Fighting or Flirting

Notes: The rest of the rewrite will hopefully be up tomorrow. I highly suggest listening to Shameless by Camila Cabello since it was playing on a loop in my head while writing this. Enjoy!

Liam

The plan was in motion—the rest of the group had gone to the armory to take the mass of weapons that Gerard was stockpiling. Corey had volunteered to go with Mason or join Liam and Theo at the zoo, but they'd all decided that his ability to disappear was best suited for the break in. Since no one had accounted for Isaac when they'd originally made the plans, he'd agreed to be the getaway driver and to be on call if Liam and Theo needed back up.

Liam wouldn't have minded the alone time with Theo, except that he refused to look Liam in the eye. He'd barely done more than grunt non-verbal answers the whole drive into town.

Liam tapped his finger along the armrest of the truck door, waiting for Mason to show up with the decoy sleeping bags and food, and hopefully with Nolan or Gabe in pursuit.

Theo stretched, only to flinch and touch his chest.

"Does it still hurt?" Liam asked.

"No," Theo said, but Liam wasn't buying it for a second. On a whim, he leaned over and tugged Theo's hoodie up, revealing the slowly healing angry marks across his bare chest.

Theo swatted Liam's hand away with a glare that was more threatening than playful. "If you wanted to see my six-pack, you could've just asked—"

"What six pack," Liam shot back, despite the fact that the wanted to know what it would feel like to run his fingers along the smooth curves of his chiseled torso.

Theo's mouth dropped open, properly offended at that, but Liam wrapped his fingers around his wrist while he was still speechless. He tried to wrench free, but Liam tightened his grip and focused, letting his eyes fall shut.

Liam nearly lost his grip on Theo as the pain slammed into him. He grunted, breathing through it. When he'd taken a brunt of it, Liam flicked his eyes open. Theo was staring at him with something akin to wonder in his eyes.

Liam finally let his hand fall away from Theo's arm, and the chimera swallowed.

"Why did you do that?"

"You're no good in a fight if you're in pain," Liam said, hoping he'd kept his heart steady enough for that to pass as the truth. It technically wasn't a lie—it just wasn't the whole truth.

A little blue car pulled up behind them—Mason was finally here.

Together, they hopped out of the truck. Almost immediately, nervous energy crept up Liam's spine. Something about the vibe at the abandoned zoo was completely off. His gut twisted and his palms started to sweat. He could've sworn he heard the sound of lacrosse balls ricocheting off the concrete walls in the old pens. Liam had only been here once before, but that was over a year ago. Practically a whole other lifetime.

Liam shook off the feeling. He wasn't going to let the past get the better of him today.

Theo moved to the trunk of Lydia's car. The bed of Theo's truck was full with decoy supplies to make it look like that pack was holed up at the abandoned zoo.

"How close is he?" Liam asked, leaning down to rest his elbows on the window.

"He's back down the road," Mason said. Liam wanted to charge Nolan's car, yank the him out of the driver's seat, and pummel him into the asphalt. The rage was gone as quickly as it had come, but it left Liam confused and more anxious than before. "Don't look."

With sleeping bags beneath each arm, Theo joined Liam at the window.

"Should I come with you guys?" Mason asked, a mixture of excitement and fear in his voice. As much as Liam wanted his best friend to join them, it was too risky. Especially with how unsettled he was. He'd never forgive himself if he hurt Mason, but he didn't know how to turn him away, So, he glanced at Theo, who seemed to read his mind.