Chapter 24

S E A N

I checked in on Genevieve after an hour of working in my office just like I'd told myself to but she was knocked out. So I went back and continued working but could only focus for about forty-five minutes before I got antsy and went to check in on her.

Just to find her still knocked out. She hadn't even changed positions. She was in the same position I'd left her in.

All that was an hour ago. I baked some cookies to keep myself busy in the meantime because my mind was too clustered to let me focus on work. The cookies just finish baking completely, so I put away the soft cookies in the cookie jar and leave the other tray out to cool. I'll put them away later.

The dishes are in the dishwasher and all the countertops are clean so I head up to check on Vie again.

Hopefully, she's up now. As tempted as I am to wake her up to ask her if she's okay, I know that she needs her rest. If she's still asleep I'll have to find something else to keep me occupied.

Perhaps I'll bake a cake this time. Or make bread. There's food, so I can't cook. I only eat so much.

She's awake. Oh, thank goodness she's awake. She has her hands wrapped around her legs that are brought up to her chest and her head is rested on her knees.

I quietly shut the door and make my way to the other side of the bed. She doesn't look up or even change her position so I don't know if she can hear me or not.

Her blazer is now on the bed beside her. The short sleeve white top she has on exposes her delicate skin. I'm halted by her beauty for a moment before I remind myself that I have to comfort her.

Let's hope she doesn't chase me. I scoot close to her on the bed and wait a bit before wrapping my arm around her. She comes willingly and I finally let out a breath I didn't even realize I was holding.

I stretch my legs out and pull her even more. Genevieve doesn't fight me. At all. I'm so happy she isn't fighting me that I just want to get off the bed, do a happy dance, and then get back in bed to console her.

But we can't have that. She'd probably slap me.

We lay with her in my arms in silence.

"How do you feel?" I break the silence.

Genevieve shrugs slowly in response.

"You want anything? I baked as well. I can go get you whatever you want."

"No." Quickly leaves her mouth when I shift slightly. "I don't want—I'm not hungry." Her course voice says.

"You want a hug?"

Her response is a choked sob and sniffle as nods.

Oh, my heart.

I have her straddle me the same way she did at the office. This time it's much more comfortable. She cries softly into my shoulder, hiding her face from me.

"Everything's fine. I'm here. I've got you." I rub her back. "You want to talk about it?"

She's quiet. I take that as a good sign. As long as she's not brushing me off, anything is a good sign.

"Do you feel better?" I try.

"I feel like crap." She croaks out. "This is why I hate crying." Her face stays hidden from me as she wipes her face with her hands.

"When was the last time you had a good cry?"

"Today I guess. But I wouldn't put good and cry in one sentence. Let alone after each other." This is good. She isn't giving one-word answers.