Chapter 12: Financing

Start from the beginning

If I had a mouth, I certainly would have smiled at that.

...

Sarah was using something similar to a popsicle stick to check my eyes by holding them open. "Why are they sunken in? You haven't been overusing your skills, have you?"

I gently shook my head, I hadn't felt particularly strained. All I had really noticed is that after giving new life to Vee, is that I could feel a bit of kickback. It was barely noticeable, but it was there.

Sarah sighed. "You aren't exactly the same as my kids, so I can't say if it is bad or not confidently." After that she pulled away the popsicle stick and went over to the window to look at the lot next to their family farm. "You got those walls up fast... Well. They clearly aren't held together the best. Maybe copying our house isn't the best idea for a cabin? You could go into town and ask for help, and buy some furniture."

I did feel a little bit bashful about the walls, clumsily held together, and even enchanted to stay that way. Most people would call that disrepair, but in my opinion it was pretty normal. After all, that is how I held the security puppet together for so long.

The wear was just a problem for those looking at me.

This was for Emy though, and giving a situation reminiscent of those Freddy's locations wasn't the best idea. So I took Sarah's comments to heart.

So with that, I decided I needed to take Emy into town, and look for some help. 'Do you have any suggestions?'

"The merchant guild runs a carpentry service and a masonry service, you could commission one of each for help on the construction... Considering you don't need much help, probably wouldn't need a crew for help like we did." Sarah quickly explained. "Should be careful with your money though, you could be seen as a thief. So I'd suggest bringing an adventurer from the guild with you."

I nodded softly while thinking things through. 'Should I bring Sammy then? She'd probably like to visit the guild.'

"If she wants to go when she gets up. You gave her a few bruises yesterday, so she might not be in the best mood." Sarah began pulling some water from a basin under the counter, and up into a sink so she could wash all the kitchen utensils.

I sighed internally, and knew I'd need to apologize. I couldn't last night, as she'd immediately fallen asleep.

I had accidentally hurt her sorta badly, because she charged at me with a knife during training, and it triggered a bad memory. Causing me to pelt her with rocks a moment later.

The knife didn't really do anything either, it just left a small cut in my gloves, and revealed a shining metal under the glove, before it was stitched back up.

I let my face slump onto the table in front of me, in frustration. 'I'm sorry.'

"It's fine, I understand why you reacted that way." Sarah still didn't seem all that shaken up about it, but it had seriously scared Sammy.

There was very little I could really do to fix that, other than just, trying to keep things normal.

I leaned over the side of the table and picked Emy up into my lap, so I'd be able to hold her closely.

"Charlie?" She stared up at me and tilted her cute little head.

'Just let me, for now. Please.' I kept my grip on her gentle, feeling like a monster for a few moments while I thought back on what happened yesterday. I knew I could hurt someone, I'd always been able to hurt someone, badly. Ever since becoming the puppet.

Even as nothing more than a phantom, I was able to put someone in a wheezing fit and bring them to death's door. I had to restrain myself back then too, though. Otherwise that monster would have gotten to them.