Severed Hearts

The music of the credits comes to an end, and the room is filled with a quiet that could be punctured by a needle. The two simply stare at each other for several moments, Marco unsure of how to respond.

"...I...you like me?" He says calmly, breaking the silence.

Kelly slowly nods, trying to hide her face.

"Like...LIKE me, like me?"

She nods again. "It's all moving so fast for me...but I felt like I was going to go insane if I didn't tell you. These feelings just wouldn't stop..." She moves her hair out of the way to look at Marco again. "You're just...the sweetest, coolest dude I've ever met. It feels so wrong to say that, because I only just regained my friendship with Tad, but...as soon as I got that weight off my chest, a new one got thrown right back onto it."

Marco leans back, looking at the ceiling. "I...huh."

After a moment, Kelly looks down sadly. "...You don't feel the same way. I...I get it..."

Marco turns back to Kelly quickly, trying to reach his hands out but forgetting one of his hands is still in a cast. "OW! Gah, stupid cast! No! It's not that, I just...I don't know how to...respond!"

Kelly gets up. "No, it's fine. It...it was a bad time. I'm sorry." She runs to the door.

"Kelly, wait!" He tries to reach out to her with his hand, but it nudges his cast again. "OWW!"

Kelly turns to him and reaches out instinctively at his cry of pain, but turns back away and leaves. "Get some rest, Marco." She says before closing the door.

"Kelly!"

Kelly rushes back to her room. "Why did I say that, I thought I was ready! No, of course I didn't think I was ready! Stupid!" She whispers to herself angrily.

Marco sits in his room in thought.

Kelly likes me? I mean...now that I think about it...she has been acting weird recently...

Gah, I've been so distracted by my own feelings about Star...I didn't even realize. But...I don't like her the way she likes me.

Do I? I don't know! Why are emotions so complicated, can't I just stop having them?!

No, that'd be bad for the mind. Emotions are important.

One thing's for sure, I need to talk to Kelly. She seemed to be really stressed just trying to tell me, and I had no idea what to say!

Who am I kidding, I STILL don't know what to say! I can't tell her I feel the same way, I don't! I like Star!

But Star doesn't like me that way anymore...she's with Tom.

Tom. Maybe I could talk to Tom. He's good with girls.

Okay, no he's not. But...he's a friend. A bro. We sang Love Sentence together!

I know I can't talk to Star, she's the reason I'm so...conflicted right now. And I still don't know what to say to Kelly. And Tad...maybe.

No, Tom is my best bet. I still never apologized properly for... kissing Star in the photo booth. Maybe he'd be willing to help.

Tomorrow. It's late right now, I don't want to bother him or Star. Although...Kelly could barge in...