Chapter XXI: Stay With Me

Warnings: Mentions of blood, injuries, and death. PTSD induced flashbacks
———————

Dust flew up under her feet as she sprinted to the Razor Crest. Her back ached from her injury but she couldn't stop. She had been so dependent on Mando but now he was in trouble and it was her turn to save them. To save both of them.

"IG!" She screamed. "IG-11!" The tall droid stepped onto the ramp of the ship.

Nylah skidded to a stop, making dirt fly. "Kuiil is dead. The child is in danger," She told him between pants for air.

"You are injured-"

"I'm fine," She interrupted. "We need to go. I need your help!"

"I will assist you."

Nylah activated her hoverboard and she and IG-11 carefully climbed on and they sped off toward town.

"Mandy!" Nylah called into her comm-link.

"Nylah? Are you okay?"

"Mando, they killed Kuiil. They took the kid. We're on our way to you now."

"We?"

"IG-11 is with me. We need his help. I have to go."

"Nylah! Nylah-" She turned her comm-link off as they stopped. She had seen two speeders ahead of them just outside of town.

"I will retrieve the child while you continue into town," IG said, stepping off the hoverboard.

"Are you sure? I can help."

"My primary motive is to protect the child."

Nylah raised a brow, not exactly understanding what he meant but she didn't have time to argue.

"Okay, okay, I'll see you in town." She turned on her camouflage and continued past the stormtroopers and toward town. She activated her helmet and her second blaster and held both in her hands. There was a sea of white Stormtrooper helmets in front of the cantina. That's where they must be, she realized.

She pushed forward and immediately started shooting at Stormtroopers. Chaos ensued. Stormtroopers yelled out about the invisible death that was attacking them. Dust flew behind her as she sped through the town, attacking the soldiers.

"What is that?" Cara asked, peaking around the pillar she was hiding behind to the window that led outside.

"It's Nylah," Mando realized. A grin spread on his lips watching the Stormtroopers fall from what looked like they were hitting an invisible wall. She was like a storm, taking down troopers in her wake. Dirt and dust flew behind her invisible force.

When Nylah circled back around, that's when she saw Mando exit the cantina, followed by Karga. Smoke filled the street as red blaster fire continued. Mando fell to the ground and Nylah made a beeline for him immediately. She hopped off her hoverboard, quickly deactivated it and covered him as he stood back up.

IG-11 joined them, riding a speeder with the child strapped to his chest. She could hear the child's laughter as they sped around, firing into the Stormtroopers. Nylah turned back toward Mando but she saw his shiny metal figure moving toward the cannon a few feet away.

That cannon, she thought. That cannon. That cannon.

Mando picked the cannon up from the stand and spun around. Karga and Nylah ended up behind Mando, trying to steer clear of his fire but still attempting to take out other troopers.

An explosion sounded to her left, shaking her core but not knocking her over. She felt the force of the blast hit her cheek, blowing the loose hairs from her braid back into her face. Images appeared in her mind, blinding her from the events of the real world.