17: Ryunosuke Tanaka - A New Girl in Town

Start from the beginning

"Shh Suga, I'm coming up with a brilliant plan," I said and he sighed. "I'll do it! I'll invite her to practice!"

- Timeskip -

It was history class once again and she sat answering all the questions happily, wowing everyone around her. At the end of the lesson Asano issued the homework, which consisted of working on a presentation with a fellow classmate. He began reeling off the pairs, calling out names and when he called out mine I couldn't believe my luck. "Tanaka and (l/n)," he said and I felt my face heat up as she turned around, waving at me. Around me I heard people sigh or scoff, apparently wanting to be partnered with her but I was the lucky one who got that pleasure.

"You're dismissed," Asano announced and everyone began collecting their things ready for lunch. Suddenly (l/n) was stood right next to me with a smile on her face.

"Hello Tanaka, it's nice to officially meet you," she said with a polite smile.

"YES!" I cried, making her step back in shock. My face was probably as red as a beetroot but I tried to ignore it. "I mean- nice to meet you too- yeah, nice to meet you too," I repeated and she giggled heavenly.

"So when would you like to start work on the project? Perhaps this evening?" She suggested, and just as I was about to agree I remembered volleyball practice. I then remembered my fabulous idea of inviting her to watch me, and before I could stop myself I blurted my idea out. "Come watch me play volleyball!"

"Huh?"

"I mean- I have volleyball practice after school, but you can come and watch me practice and we can work on the project after...?" I asked tentatively.

"Okay that sounds great! Where do you practice?" She asked.

"G-gym one, after school," I explained and she nodded.

"I'll see you then, Tanaka," she said, smiling and walking out of the classroom. My heart was beating a million miles per hour and I couldn't slow it down, nor could I believe my luck at being partnered with her. I rushed to the gym for lunchtime practice, seeing most of the team already in a circle doing stretches.

"Tanaka are you okay? Did Shimizu slap you again?" Suga sighed.

"What? No, it's (l/n)... she's gonna come watch me practice!" I beamed brightly, throwing my fist in the air at this grand achievement, however it was only Noya who seemed excited by this news.

"Congratulations dude, right, operation Make-Ryu-Look-Good-In-Front-Of-(l/n) commences!" Noya clapped.

"How on earth are we gonna do that?" Suga sighed.

"By tossing to me all the time! I'll show her I'm ace material," I said, puffing out my chest proudly. The team and I carried on with lunch practice, it only being a few drills as we were still half way through the day. For the rest of the afternoon I was in a very giddy mood, excited and preparing myself for this evenings practice. I was going to show off to (l/n) just how awesome I was.

- Timeskip -

We had started practice but (l/n) was still no where to be seen. I was getting a bit anxious as Ukai set us up for spiking practice, us forming two lines and spiking balls that Suga and Kageyama were tossing to us. "Are you sure this girl exists?" Chikara asked and I crossed my arms.

"Of course she exists!" I insisted, and out the corner of my eye I spotted someone lingering at the door. "(l/n)!"

She stood awkwardly, her eyes glancing between us all. "H-hello... I'm terribly sorry I'm late Tanaka, I-I got lost and-,"

"That's okay! Don't worry about it!" I ran up to her and she stepped back out of shock. "Sorry- you wanna watch? Here I'll get you a seat-," I ran quickly to sit her down. She still seemed intimidated and a little uncomfortable in the presence of everyone. "It's okay, everyone's nice I swear," I added, hoping I wasn't forcing her out of her comfort zone.