18 - Dutch

"If you even feel the slightest bit off you make sure to tell me ok?" I hear Liam say to me over the noise of the track, I simply nod.

I don't want to admit it but that was my first major crash and it has rattled me A LOT. I noticed I go so much slower around corners now because I am so petrified that there is going to be a spinning car around the corner.

As everyone leaves the track as the thirty second warning sounds I close my eyes and go blank, I then transform into Maxx. I'm still a little nervous but one look across to the Haas starting in first and I grow determined again.

The light goes black and I put my foot on the floor, the wind pushing my head backwards makes me snap out of my daze.

I have to have my head in the game because if I'm not focussed not only am I putting myself at risk but also others.

And besides I need to show that jackass just what he messed with.

Heading into the first corner Anthony somehow defends me enough so I remain in second but there is still a healthy gap between the car behind me.

"Let's buckle down and get this Haas"  I hear Liam say to me over the headset and the only thing I can say is,

"Always"

——-

I have been behind Anthony this entire time, now I know how it feels for him when he is always stuck behind me and yet I still don't even feel the slightest bit of remorse.

We come into a turn and I can't help but brake a little more than usual thanks to the accident and in turn earning Anthony an even bigger gap between us than before.

"You need to get out of your head ok? I know it's really tough but remember who you are doing this for." I hear Liam say over the headset and my mind goes back to my past.

The complete and utter feel of helplessness when Anthony unfairly beat me in that karting race. When I looked around and every single man and boy in that room did absolutely nothing, that is who I'm doing this for.

I push the pace of the car for the next couple of laps and although I still break a little earlier it's almost what it was before. I am now directly behind Anthony, a sickening smirk appears on my face.

"Welcome back Maxx" says Liam and I respond with,
"Glad to be back"

——-

It's the final lap and Anthony and I have been battling the entire race for first with both of us alternating positions.

Right now I am behind Anthony and coming out of the last turn I race beside him and I'm slowly catching up to his front wing but before I can reach we pass the finish line.

I let out a small sigh of frustration before I see the team dangling over the side and showing how happy they are I'm p2.

That diminishes any anger and frustration I had before and remember how hard the mechanics worked to get this car up and running again.

"Well done Maxx, don't beat yourself up about coming second because you had a great comeback from last race." Says the team boss over the headset and I smile at his praise.

"Yea I can take it for now I guess, but make sure to tell the boys thank you for getting the car back up, the pace was great today" I say and there is simply a copy after the message.

I make into the second place spot for my car and instantly run to the team after making it out of my car, all I can hear are many yells and congratulations along with many head taps and pats on the back.