13 - French

'So what we're you doing in the paddock mystery girl?' Texts Matt.

I texted him not too long after the race last week but just casual talk like, what's your favourite movie? But I haven't told him my name yet, funny how no one knows who Maxx is and he doesn't know who I am.

'I'm doing an internship for Alpha Romeo as a manager. And it's dream girl, sugar' I reply not long after.

"Now what are you smiling at?" Liam questions while we pull into the parking spot, today is race day.

"Just something cute" I reply cheekily and get out of the car before Liam can question me any further.

"Stop right there young lady!" Liam says and I only run faster with Liam chasing after me.

We run and giggle not paying any mind to the weird looks we are receiving, until I see a familiar blonde.

"Alright, you caught me!" I surrender before Matt can see my red and sweaty face, Liam instantly places me in a headlock.

This shields me from Matt's view and Liam carry's me to the garage.

——

I take the p4 place on the grid as that is what I qualified, the redbull's were flying yesterday as well as the asswipe.

I clear my mind as per usual and focus on the lights in front of me, waiting for the controlled chaos to start.

Once the lights black out everyone fly's forward but the redbull infront of me had a bad start, I take it to my advantage and overtake him easily.

This puts me in p3 as I head into the corner I exit flawlessly and put my foot to the floor, as much as the track will allow.

"Nice overtake Maxx, how is the car feeling?" The headset asks.

"It feels normal, but remember that's how it felt before the breakdown. Always brace yourself for chaos....and my swearing" I say with a small laugh, which is responded with a laugh and a copy.

After a few laps I finally gain on the other redbull but not enough to overtake just yet, I have to stay patient.

——

"And poor number 53, Maxx, has been stuck in a redbull sandwich the whole race, hopefully he can break it soon" the commentators say, I feel your pain brother.

I had pitted a few laps ago, no problems and one of the best the team has ever done. I have been gaining on the redbull infront but unfortunately so has the one behind me.

"Alright, I'm going for it on the next straight" I inform my team, not asking for permission just telling.

We exit the turn wing to wing and I swerve beside the redbull and pull next to him.

I look in mirror to see the other car not there, it's a three way overtake.

Shit could go south at anytime.

We are all pushing as far as our cars will get us which painfully is the same speed, we are running out of straight road.

No one breaks their focus and keeps pushing.

I pull into the turn slightly ahead of the other two thanks to my late breaking, they are still hot on my tail.

I'm ahead of the two cars but as I try to exit the turn I'm clipped in the back tire and I start to turn.

It's a straight so I don't allow my car to swerve into the dirt.

My car is going one way and the steering wheel the other, my tires are screeching loudly.

I finally drive straight once again with the two redbulls successfully behind me.

I just drifted for the first time in a mother fucking f1 car!

"Holy shit Maxx! That was amazing! Straight into p2" I hear Liam praise.

"That was wild" I reply in shock, I keep driving and gradually making the gap between me and the redbull behind bigger.

—-

It's the final lap and I'm no where near Anthony but the redbull's are no where near me so I'm cool with it.

I cross the finish line and surprisingly I don't feel disappointed or angry, maybe it's because I drifted a whole f1 car? I don't really care anymore honestly.

I'm here accomplishing my dreams like I always have, I still have the fight to win the championship but there are many more races to do that.

"Tell the team thanks for the effort today and although it's not p1 it's the closest thing" I say over the headset.

"Works for us Maxx, great racing out there. This put's Anthony in first for the drivers championship with 131 points and you in second with 123 points, we'll get him eventually. Call us karma" Liam replies over the headset.

I pull into the correct spot and hug my team which is responded with helmet taps and headlocks.

——-

"And our second place driver Maxx!" I run out and point to my team before proudly making my way to the p2 spot.

I see Anthony come on as well but all I can focus on is Matt, his beautiful blue eyes hold such happiness for his team.

Maybe I should come second more often?

Nah, me winning it better.

My visor is down allowing no one to see my eyes so I happily watch Matt whilst the anthem plays but once the Champaign is started I'm glad I have my visor on to keep the liquid out of my eyes.

Once I arrive in the garage a new bottle is brought out once the garage door is shut and my helmet is off, so much for no Champaign in my eyes.

My team and I are coated in the bubbles after many hugs and thanks I get changed into dry clothes, I can get used to the celebrations that's for sure.

——

Liam and I are walking to the car but I spot Matt before he spots me.

"Hey Liam, you go ahead I'm going to thank the guys again. I won't be too long" he nods in response and I walk up to Matt.

"Well hello stranger" I say confidently and he turns and around and a smile instantly grows on his face.

"Hello, dream girl....why is your hair wet?" He asks curiously, here is what I prepared earlier;

"The team was celebrating with Maxx, don't you guys do that?" I ask genuinely curious about their team.

"Nah Anthony kinda does his own thing. Me and the guys are going out for drinks though....you could umm, come? Only if you want!" He asks awkwardly and I laugh.

"Nah I should stay with my team tonight, we might go out actually" I reply and he nods.

"How does it feel working for a prick?" I ask suddenly which catches him off guard.

"He's just a little different, you know a bit more reserved" he says with those deep chuckles which are so addicting.

We grow closer to each other, like magnets with a weak current.

I intertwine his finger with mine, he starts to lean down.

I feel my heart in my throat and hear my breath become more frantic.

"Amelia! What the fuck?!" I hear Liam yell and I turn around to see him marching over.

He pulls me from Matt and glares holes into his soul, dragging me to the car I mouth a sorry to Matt.

Once he throws me into my seat and he makes his way to his he starts scolding me.

"Would you care to shed some light on the situation young lady?"

Shit.

——

What do you guys thinks of the romance? I feel like this story needed a little something extra.

- Author