11 - Emilia Romagna

"Now don't let it get to your head even though you did win the last race and qualified p1 for this race you don't have to win, ok? You have already proved yourself" Liam lectures while we do the warm up lap.

"Now where is the fun in that" I reply sarcastically, I hear him sigh but he drops it as I have taken my place on the grid.

I once again only focus on the lights ahead of me, no looking around or paying attention to anything else, complete focus.

Once the lights go out I dart forward like everyone else but Anthony, who was p2, didn't have a great start causing me to have an easy lead.

Into the first corner I have a healthy lead with Anthony somehow managing to keep his position but focusing on defence.

I glide through my first lap with the car performing perfectly, "nice lap Maxx, keep it up" I do exactly that.

—-

Everyone has pitted except me but my tires are starting to ware, "I need to pit soon my tires are dead" the headset replies with a copy but nothing further.

I push a few more laps out of these tires until I get the signal to pit, "box box, box box"

I slow to the required speed and find my crew waiting for me. I'm lifted and I'm ready to go but still in the air.

One of the tire gun's is jammed. I fill with anxiety as I see many cars fly past, including Anthony. That makes my blood boil.

After what feels like an eternity they finally get the tire changed and once I reach the end of the pits I fly forward.

"Where are we now?" I say filled with venom and I hear the headset hesitate but I sigh angrily quickening the process.

"You are now in p7" I clench my jaw to avoid any screams or swearing, the race was going too well.

"We are so sorry Maxx" my headset apologises frantically.

"It's fine, I'm driver and it's my job to drive. I just need to get it done" I simply leave it at that and feel sorry for everyone infront of me because I am showing no mercy.

——

After a few hard overtakes I make my way to p3 after twenty laps, I am aware of the time crunch and push the car as fast as it will go.

I see my target infront of me, a redbull, and gain some ground before attempting to overtake.

I'm at his wing and drive as close as I can hoping he will slip up eventually. After five laps I grow nervous but so does he.

During the straight I put my foot to the floor and am directly next to the other car, unfortunately he is on the inside as we enter the turn.

I see him swerving all around the exit of the turn not sure where I am so I use it.

I go on the inside of the next turn when he is on the outside trying to block me and I overtake instantly.

I exit the turn quickly and gradually grow the gap between us, trying to get to Anthony instead of defending.

There are two laps left and I am at Anthony's wing but he won't slip up, as much as it kills me he is actually good at driving especially his car.

It's now the last lap and I'm still behind Anthony.

I've tried to overtake multiple times but he has blocked me every time.

We reach the last corner and we drive as fast as we can.

I'm by his side.

I'm slightly behind.

He crosses the line infront of me.

He won.

Anthony just beat me.

I'm in denial during my cool down lap, I hear some congratulations over the headset and try to think on the bright side.

"Come on Maxx, I think you did amazing all of those overtakes were flawless and for your second ever season in formula 1 it's amazing to see what you have achieved in just two races. Don't be a downer and congratulate yourself" Liam lectures me in a comforting tone.

"You're right, don't tell the team to beat themselves up about today, we still got good results."

I park in the second place spot and instantly run to my team with as much enthusiasm as physically possible.

After many hugs and helmet taps I make my way to the cool down room.

I see Anthony with a smug smirk on his face as I enter, "nice race out there Maxx" he teases and I'm about to snap.

"Seriously though, those overtakes were amazing even experienced driver like me cracked under the pressure of your skills, good job today" the redbull driver compliments and he is my favourite person of the moment.

Anthony scoffs as I give the redbull driver a man hug but we then make our way to the podium.

—-

I stand proudly with the other two drivers, as much as I would rather be in first it's better than drowning in my own pool of sympathy.

I reward myself by looking at the Haas mechanic who I discovered as Matt Peyton, I definitely didn't stalk him on Facebook. But he is a twenty one year old from Italy who just happens to be single.

My thoughts are disrupted by champagne flying in all directions to which I respond with more champagne like any sane person.

I spray my team and happily pour the rest on myself before grabbing my trophy and holding it up to the crowd which is received with many cheers.

You know coming second isn't so bad.

——

'In today's formula 1 race driver Anthony takes p1 leaving a tie for first between the two drivers Maxx and Anthony' I read the twitter update and scroll through the trending.

I see a famous actor with millions of followers talking about me.

'Maxx thinks he's all high and mighty hiding his identity but he is washed up which is shown in today's race for someone held to such high standards he should achieve better' this infuriates me, who does this prick think he is?

And I know, I know you shouldn't respond to negative comments because you are just giving them ammo but if you fuck with ME, you will get the consequences.

'Thanks for the feedback but last time I checked you were a washed up actor who doesn't know anything about formula 1, btw I don't see your formula 1 trophies or entire life commitment toward the sport, did I stutter? Didn't think so' I tweet that and go to bed.

Another day, another slay.

—-

Any thoughts or feedback? Sorry for the late update I have been working a lot recently.

- Author