Chapter 24 - Luss

"Wait, are you drawing it?"

     Jelro glanced up at Luss.

     "I usually sket'st things in my logbooks," the merfling said. "Does it look right?"

     Luss examined the sketch as Jelro held up the booklet. The drawing Jelro had done of a manticore was surprisingly accurate and detailed for the only reference being Luss's description.

     "Did you learn to draw at The Academy?" Luss asked.

     "I learned in school before attending The Academy—when I was little," Jelro explained. "But I'm mostly self-taught. My father has given me a few pointers, too."

     "Is your father an artist?"

     "No, he was a journer. His name's Qio Ausfai. He's written quite a few logbooks, so maybe you've seen one before."

     "Oh, that name actually does sound familiar," Luss realized. "I think I've read a couple of his logbook-es. It's been a while, though—so I couldn't tell ya for sure."

     Jelro shrugged.

     "How did you manage drawing underwater?" Luss wondered, absentmindedly reaching over to stroke Refi's backside.

     "Well, I was surprised when I learned that beings on land typically use paper that gets ruined if put in water," Jelro said. "I didn't realize that not all paper is the same."

     "Whadda'ya use to write with when you're underwater?" Luss asked.

     "Pens, but ones that don't need to be dipped in ink."

     "You should draw me," Luss joked.

     "Sure, why not." Jelro flipped to a clean page.

     "I was kidding!" Luss protested.

     Jelro shrugged again.

     "What are you two doing over here?" Shayrow asked, crouching down next to Luss.

     "Unsure," Luss said. "I mean, I was telling Jelro about dangerous creatures a second ago."

     "Why do you know so much about dangerous creatures, anyhow?" Shayrow inquired. "That isn't something taught in the merchant class, is it?"

     "Nah, but it should be," Luss replied. "Call it a special interest of mine. My turn! Did--"

     "Hold on—your turn for what?" Shayrow said.

     "A question, duh." Luss crossed his legs, then his arms. "Did you really cut your hair with your sword?"

     "Aye." Shayrow ran his fingers through his wild mop of hair. "When I was sixteen."

     "Why specifically then?" Luss asked, resuming stroking Refi when the swan crooned and tugged on his sleeve with her beak.

     Shayrow hesitated.

     Luss figured he wasn't going to answer, so he started to turn to Jelro.

     "That was when I lost my parents."

     Luss glanced at Shayrow, more surprised than he wanted to admit.

     "Oh, yeah. I forgot you lost 'em." Luss tugged at his collar. "It was that recent, huh?"

     Shayrow gave a curt nod.

     "Wait, hold up—" Luss said, skeptically looking at Shayrow, "does that mean you had long hair before that?"