Chapter 22 - Kestek

Kestek and Adif started to clean up the area to leave no trace that they had camped there, although Kestek didn't see a reason to do so. It wasn't like they had left behind any junk, but Adif insisted that they return the clearing to the state it previously had been—meaning they scattered the charred sticks of their fire back around the trees and made sure nothing looked like it had been taken from the place that Earth Mother—whoever that was—put things in.

     "Kestek," Adif said, giving the sprite a curious look, "do you mind if I ask you what you believe in?"

     "Huh?"

     "I mean, do you believe in a higher power?"

     "What? Of course I do." Kestek was shocked that Adif had questioned her beliefs. After all, Kestek had blessed the food before every meal.

     "Which?" Adif inquired.

     Kestek blinked.

     "What do you mean?"

     "Well, Jelro is Q'eilið, and I was just wondering what your beliefs are." The elf paused and looked up at the sky. "It fascinates me how there are so many ways to see the world, I guess."

     "Oh." Kestek wasn't sure how else to respond.

     She had never really thought about it that way, in all honesty. The way she had been taught had made it seem that those who didn't believe in the same Abvolist ways were lost and were supposed to be helped on to a better path of life.

     "Well," Kestek slowly said, "I believe that there are The Three—the Box, the Oracle, and the sealed."

     "You're Boxist?" Adif's eyes widened in an eager sort of way.

     "Abvolism is a Boxist belief," Kestek explained. "So... Yes, technically. But there are more Boxist beliefs than just Abvolism."

     "Okay." Adif nodded. "What makes Abvolism different than other Boxist beliefs?"

     "A lot of Boxism beliefs say that the sealed one is going to one day return," Kestek said, "but that's..." She paused, searching for a better word than absurd.

     She backpedaled and decided to explain to Adif the origins of Abvolism.

     Adif sat and listened to Kestek's every word.

— — —

     When the world had been nothing, the corners of the sky connected and the Box left Its domain in Firmament and brought life to the lands, leaving a powerful dragon behind to guard the heavens until the Box returned.

     Seventy-three long days passed before the moon finally rose to mark the first day of perfection. It rose and set for seven more days until the Box decided that it was time to return to Firmament.

     But Firmament had fallen to the dragon, who had betrayed the Box in a search for power. The dragon prepared to vanquish the Box, using divine strength that he had gained while ruling Firmament. He sent a messenger—a divinity in the form of a fox—to seek the Box and capture It so that the dragon could finish the job.

     The fox found the Box and instead warned It of the dragon's plan, allowing the Box time to escape. When the dragon discovered what the fox had done, he stripped the fox of his divine powers and banished him to the lands below.

     The fox fought off death, knowing that if he gave in he would be returned to Firmament where the dragon would surely have greater punishment waiting for him. He wandered the dying lands that he had fallen in, and he came across a girl that was one of the first lives that the Box had given to the land. She nursed the fox back to health out of the goodness of her heart.