Chapter 5 - Luss

"Trust no one. Suspect everyone."

     Those were the last words that Luss heard from his parents.

     He took the advice extremely seriously, especially after several of his "friends" in county after county decided to betray him.

     Hurt, scared, alone, and barely twelve years old, Luss found himself completely jag-less in Woei County.

     He decided once and for all that he would never trust anyone, no matter what. He never wanted to be vulnerable to anyone ever again.

     When he turned thirteen, Luss chose a class just like all students his age. He didn't know anything about any of the classes, so he rolled a few dice and flipped a coin.

     He ended up putting his name on the list to become a merchant.

     Luss coasted through lessons, not caring enough to look into switching classes before he turned fifteen. He figured he could survive as a merchant without a problem.

     And then came the lesson about preventing thieves.

     Luss learned two important things that day—that stealing was still illegal... and he was still really good at it.

      He was terrible at haggling, but that mattered little once he saw where someone kept their jag. It could be in a pouch, a pocket, or even a purse.

     He could ask for a wood bit and end up rubbing a copper bit between his fingers.

     Of course, it did help a bit that he had a different face every time he set up shop.

     He had yet to sense another like him in the town, but he didn't care if he was the only one of his kind in the entire kingdom.

     He was never going to tell anyone what he really was.

     Never again.

     "Can I help you?" Luss asked, having grown bored with the tall boy that was hovering near his booth in the market.

     "Yes, I'm simply wondering if you can direct me to anyone in the apothecary class."

     Luss pretended to be confused rather than surprised. It was unusual for someone to ask for information instead of shopping for goods.

     "Are you looking for someone in particular?" he asked.

     "Anyone in the class will do," the boy replied.

     Luss seized the opportunity immediately.

     "Hm. Well, it's gonna cost you a wood bit."

     The boy frowned. Luss held out a hand, and the wood bit was handed over.

     Wood bits were the smallest bits, being worth only 1 jag each. Tin bits were worth 13, and copper bits were worth 39. Two copper bits equaled a silver bit—which were worth 78 jag. Twelve silver bits made up a single gold bit—adding up to 936 jag. 

     And then there were ruby bits... two of which made a diamond bit.

     Luss had never even seen a diamond bit, and had only ever touched a ruby bit once in his life. A ruby bit was the same worth as twelve gold bits. Or a hundred forty-four silver bits. Or a hundred eighty-eight copper bits. Or eight hundred sixty-four tin bits.

     Eleven thousand two hundred thirty-two wood bits.

     That kind of wealth was something Luss could hardly believe was real—let alone normal in Yaruid.