Chapter 14 - Jelro

Jelro couldn't bring himself to look Kestek in the eye after what had happened in the market.

     The two of them had been packing food for the trip, using funds that Adif had supplied Jelro with, when they were stalled while passing a booth of a seamstress. She was a wraith, therefore extremely pale to the point she was nearly translucent, and her hair and clothes floated around her as though she were underwater.

     The wraith had been busily tying bows for little girls to wear in their hair, and she was handing out matching bows to beings that were strolling by.

     "Oh, you two!" she exclaimed, jumping up and drifting over to Jelro and Kestek. "Aren't you two just the cutest thing?" She giggled as she observed the animals and began tying bows on them. "Are these your children?"

     Jelro was slow in catching on, but Kestek reacted immediately.

     "No, ma'am! You're mistaken—we're not-- That is, he's not-- I'm not--"

     "Oh, hush!" The wraith wagged her finger at Kestek and then grabbed a pair of ribbons from her booth. She handed one of the ribbons to Jelro and then turned to Kestek. "Now, hold still while he puts this in your hair!"

     "I-I beg your pardon?" Jelro stammered.

     "Go on!" the wraith insisted. "Your girlfriend will look so lovely with a bow in her hair, don't you think?"

     Jelro was mortified. He knew that most beings on land held different morals than Merrow did, but this?

     "Oh, would you quit looking all embarrassed?" the wraith pouted. "Why don't you show him how it's done?" she suggested, handing the other ribbon to Kestek.

     Kestek's cheeks flushed purple. She frantically looked at Jelro.

     "You two are exasperating!" the wraith cried.

     Passerbyers were starting to stop and stare.

     "Just tell her no," Refi honked. "Really—what's so hard about that?"

     "Just hurry and do it!" Breek squealed at the same time. "It's just her hair!"

     Jelro winced.

     Without warning, the wraith seized Jelro by the wrist and gathered Kestek's long hair into his hands so he could tie the ribbon into it.

     Jelro jumped back, snatching his hands away and staring in horror at Kestek.

     "I'm so sorry--!" he started to say.

     "Jelro, it's okay--" Kestek began to insist.

     "What's the matter with you?" the wraith snapped at Jelro. "It's not like I'm asking you for a big show! Honestly—kids these days!" She floated off, completely irritated.

     Jelro hustled Kestek away from the booth, repeating his apologies over and over again, completely disgusted at himself for allowing things to escalate to such a point.

     "Jelro, it's okay," Kestek said, giving him a look. "I know we've only known each other for a day, but it's just my hair."

     "Just your--?" Jelro fell back a step, stunned. "Kestek, how can you say that about yourself?"

     "Uh... what?" Kestek frowned.

     Jelro fumbled for words, stumbling over his explanation in embarrassment.