Chapter 12

I awoke without remembering falling asleep. I stretched my sore arms above my head and noticed a black cloth draped across me, over the paper thin sheet. Well that explains why I’m not freezing at the moment, I thought to myself. I lightly pulled the cloak down and leaned against the headboard. It took me a few seconds to notice King Bat still sitting next to me. He still had his head buried down in his book, but his eyes were closed. I felt the corners of my mouth twitch up in a smirk. He looked innocent, an odd word to associate the man with.

I reached over and pulled the book from his hands and looked at the cover. It struck me as odd he would be reading a muggle book, especially being the head of house for Slytherin. The title, Pride and Prejudice, was printed in cursive on the front. I flipped it over to the back and skimmed the summary and making a face before placing it back in his lap. How could two people that can’t stand each other be in a relationship? That seems pretty counterproductive if you ask me.

I laid back down in the bed and looked up at the high ceiling, bored to death. “I wonder how long I’ll be locked up in here.”I thought aloud.

                “Until you learn not to do stupid things.” I jumped slightly as the man beside me spoke, I hadn’t heard him stir.

“I don’t think Madame Pomfrey would like me to stay that long.” I pointed out with a cheeky smirk. He rolled his eyes without humor.

                “What time is it?” I asked when silence came over us.

                “Just past three o’ clock.” He stated matter of fact. I frowned internally.

“What about classes?” I eyed him suspiciously, surely he didn’t ditch to stick around here all day.

“They have been cancelled today due to the tournmant task that is taking place at the present time.”

                “Still?” shock crept into my voice, I thought I was asleep longer than that.  I felt myself shake with silent laughter, “What do they have to battle a dragon?”

                “Yes.” He nodded curtly. My laughter stopped.

“Seriously?”

He rolled his eyes and spoke dryly, “No, Miss Malfoy, I conjured a lie to tell you because it would be disastrous if you knew the truth.”

“No need to be rude.” I reprimanded under my breath.

                “Rude is disobeying school rules.” He replied sharply.

Oh go back to sleep King Bat, I thought internally. He was more appealing that way.

                I caught my thought a second later. Did I just say Snape was more appealing that way?

Gross.

                “You’re not going to let me live that down are you?” I asked rhetorically, expecting him not to answer.

“I don’t think you comprehend what you put people through.” He said simply. Closing his book and placing it on the nightstand.

I kept my eyes down, “I already told you, I don’t need people.”

                “Of course not.” He chastised.

I sighed deeply, and fought the urge to fight back. I would be in control this time. “My family has more pressing matters than to sit around and worry about me.” I spoke slowly, I half wondered how a cheerless voice crept from my throat.