Chapter 2

My hand lingered over a sheet of parchment. As it turns out I was less persuasive then I thought. I sighed and set the quill down and moved away from the table. I made a face as I inspected the bookcase located in the main sitting room. The books were old and tattered, as well as sporting a thick layer of dust. “Doesn’t the old bat ever clean?” I mumbled to myself under my breath.             

                “It is rude to talk about your host in such a manor, Miss Malfoy.” A voice stated from behind me. I pursed my lips. I take it back. I hated him as a person too.

“No, it’s rude to have your…” I struggled to find the word, “residence, in such a state, while entertaining a lady.” I replied quickly, while still observing the collection of books. “Indeed, but I see no lady.” He replied monotone. I heard the faint sound of shoes on wood floor before I had time to come up with a response.

                The past week or so had been like this, truthfully I had lost track of how long I was gone, it felt like the end of summer would be here any second, and at the same time, it never did.

I wandered from room to room aimlessly for hours on end. It was such a quiet place I was never sure where he was, if he was here at all. I sighed anxiously and settled for a two word response to Draco, he had been the only one I had been able to contact over the summer, he sent a long letter detailing the household. Oh! How I missed the dark silky sheets, the large fireplace, the dustless everything.

                “Help me.”

                I sat at the foot of the small bed that had been placed in a nearly empty room, as I looked around I couldn’t help but feel he took “bedroom” to a whole new level. I couldn’t tell what time of the day it was, or what day, or month, and part of me was beginning to forget the year. Well, maybe I was over exaggerating, a bit, but what I do know is that I had to get out of this prison.

                “Miss Malfoy.” My name was called from the other room. I quickly stood as my legs betrayed me and brought me to the source. I stood in front of his seat at the table. “Yeah?” I asked not bothering to cross my arms as I had done for the past however long I was here. I simply didn’t have the energy anymore.

“Lessons begin today.” He said and I felt a chill run up my spine, what was he going to teach me? How to clear out a room? He motioned for me to sit in another chair as he stood quickly; it upset the laws of physics for both of us to be seated at the same table.  I crossed my legs and slouched heavily, knowing it would irritate him.

                “I hope you realize what a waste of time this is.” I said boredly, picking at my unpainted nails, “I already know how to use magic, as well as how to respect others and be a lady, as you so nicely put it.” I said glaring up beneath my blonde hair, it was all true, though my spells could definitely use some work.

He remained silent.

                “See, father already had me go through an etiquette school before I was enrolled in Hogwarts. Everything I do,” I paused and gave a proud smirk, “is because I choose to be a certain way, to act a certain way.” I finished smugly, crossing my arms over my chest.

“So you say, however…” he walked behind my chair to where I couldn’t see him, “Are you sure it is really, your choice? How much do you think is expectation? No, see I do not believe you have chosen anything other than what was set out in front of you. Lucius gave you a little push in the beginning did he not? Oh, yes, I do indeed know about your first friend, a muggle too.” he clicked his tongue as though he disapproved and I stiffened slightly, fortunately, I was able to hide my emotions from him, due to his location in the room. “Emma Clarke. Wasn’t it?” his question was rhetorical but I still nodded regardless. “And then after that your brother just continued you in the right direction, didn’t he?” I felt a strong tug in my stomach as I resisted the urge to break everything in the room. I faintly touched the back of my neck, “And of course that ugly scar. The one you wouldn’t be able to conceal with magic, I’m sure you tried.” His deep monotone voice rang in my ears. I felt him pricking at the most sensitive part of me before I snapped.

                I stood up and knocked the flimsy wooden chair over, leaving a scratch on the floor. “You think you’re really special, don’t you? Huh? Severus. Walk around in black, trying to intimidate children? You’re biased and cruel and mean for no damn reason, what? Were you picked on as a kid? Did someone hurt the poor itty bitty Sniffles Snape?” I questioned harshly, nearly spitting on several occasions. “Don’t you dare pretend like you know anything about me, you son of a bitch!” I roared after a pause. He remained unchanged by my words, save for a slight twitch of his eyebrow and a slight smirk.

We stared intensely at the other and I felt my defiance slowly slipping. He would kill me, he could do it very easily, and my father wouldn’t even ask about the body…He clearly favoured my brother over me. “Perhaps you could act like a lady.” He said without warning, I felt confusion flicker on my face. “If you were able to, control yourself, for once.” He stated, though not directly talking to me. I rolled my eyes and looked at the fallen chair, suddenly taking notice of the deep gash left in the wooden floors. My eyes flickered up to his. “I don’t need this.” With that I turned on my heels and stormed out of the house quickly. Not looking behind me, and tears threatening to spill over. But I was fine, wasn’t I?