Chapter 7

“Come on Allyson wake up!” a female voice said, gently shaking my shoulder. I rolled over and buried my face in my black pillow.  “Go away.” I growled, though the sleep in my voice made my command less threatening than it should have been.

                “Not this time, get up, Draco said-” I threw a pillow at the voice.

“I’m going, don’t get your wand all in a knot.” I rolled back onto my back and blinked a few times. It was too dark to be morning already. “What time is it?” I asked looking over, my eyes adjusting to one of my roommates, and Draco’s snogging mate, Parkinson.

                “7:45,” she remarked, sounding more like a mother than a student. I didn’t like being a year younger.

I returned my gaze to the ceiling and sighed. “I’m not going to first block.”

“It’s the first day back. Besides Draco said that I was in charge of getting you up and at least to breakfast. So come on, please.” Her voice lacked patience. “Up, Up, now.” She pulled off the comforter and I involuntarily shivered at the absence of fabric. I sat up quickly and glared at her.

                “I don’t like you.”

She sighed “Of course not, hurry up, we’re already late.”

                I took my time getting dressed, knowing it annoyed her. It took about twenty minutes, putting us five minutes later than we needed to be. The other girls in our room had left before I even got up. By the time we got to the Great Hall breakfast was almost half way over.

“I hope you aren’t planning on doing this every day.” She half scolded, we were still out of hearing from my brother and I shrugged.

                “Just until you stop treating me like a child.” I replied, quickening my pace to my brother’s side. She wouldn’t dare talk back with him right here. I saw a flicker of defeat cross her features before she took a seat next to him. I took my usual seat across from them.

“Here comes your favourite person.” Pansy snorted causing my brother to nudge my foot under the table. I shot both of them a look and continued to stare down my untouched goblet of juice. I didn’t need to look to know who they were talking about.

“Ah, Miss Malfoy, Miss Parkinson, nice of you to finally join the rest of the school this morning. I would suggest you don’t make a habit of being late. It would be a shame if you were to receive more than one detention before the first day had even begun.” He said with an air of triumph. He pulled a paper from a stack he was holding and flicked it in front of my face before allowing it to fall in front of me. My schedule. I remained quiet as I looked it over, and his attention moved over to the rest of our group. He made a point to hand their schedules to them directly.

                Someone must have pissed in his pumpkin juice.

Draco insisted on one of his servants escorting me to class. Against my protests Goyle was chosen.

                “I really don’t need you to walk me.” I said, slightly annoyed at the tall awkward boy stalking me. He made no answer and if I didn’t know any better I would assume he was mute. I rolled my eyes and walked past him leading out of the castle and down to the giant’s hut for my first class. Care of Mythical Creatures.  

He left me with my books and quickly departed, no goodbye, not a word. I shook my head. The idiot’s going to be late either way.

                Majority of the day was spent daydreaming, the first day back was usual the most boring, Mostly introductions to the class, and learning about the professor. Fourth period was the only class that had actually had a lesson plan.

Naturally it was with the King Bat.

I tapped my fingers impatiently on the table in front of me. We had been assigned to make the Confusing Concoction with the person sitting next to us. Luckily I had been seated next to one of the few Slytherins who had paid attention in class and knew what he was doing. I had yet to lift my finger, but I don’t think my partner minded, though Snape clearly did.

                “Malfoy, I do hope you are at least paying attention to what Mr. Winston is doing. The next assignment you will not have a partner.” A sour puff of air reached over the table and landed in my face.

 “Yeah yeah, but that in there and stir it.” I dropped my hand away from my head and looked up at him. The frown lines seemed to crease.              

                “You already have detention tonight Miss Malfoy, I don’t suggest you test my patience.” He turned sharply and went to another table to assault another group.

I made a face behind his back, earning laughs from several people around me, even those who did not belong to Slytherin. “He really hates you, doesn’t he?” my partner asked, keeping his face down in his book. I couldn’t remember his first name. “Something like that. He just likes my brother better.”

“From the sounds of it, sounds like he likes everyone better.” he laughed, but on noticing that I had not, he stopped immediately. “Sorry, I just mean-” I held my hand up and forced a laugh.

                “I don’t care. I’m going to take a nap, so wake me up if something important happens.” He didn’t reply so I put my head down on my folded arms and fell asleep quickly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It felt like only seconds later that I was being woken up. I jerked upright on realizing my location and stretched my arms over my head. “Are you planning on staying all day?” Snape asked, hovering over my desk.

                “Why the hell would I do that?” I responded quickly, gathering my books and standing. Too fast. The floor threatened to pull me to the ground but I shifted the bag on my arm and turned strutting out of his class.

“Eight o’ clock sharp, Allyson!” he called after me, but I could have sworn I heard him wrong. Goyle was waiting outside. I dropped my belongings into his arms, this time without protest, “Good boy!” I cooed sarcastically, watching as he flushed a dark shade of red. We remained silent as we approached the Great Hall for supper.

                We were the last to get to the table, something normal for me, something slightly upsetting to Goyle. The other two schools had rejoined the dining hall, in a much less showy way and the “proud sons of Durmstrang” took their seats, scattered within the Slytherin table. Tonight there was no great speech, no unexpected guests, and nothing out of the ordinary.

I yawned and crossed my arms in front of me. “If you ate you wouldn’t be tired.” Draco said cautiously, not trying to get into an argument. I rolled my eyes

                “If someone let me sleep in I wouldn’t be tired.” I replied looking over at Pansy who was chewing on a bite of potatoes. “I’m going to go take a nap before detention.” I announced while standing up. “You can bring my things after dinner.” I said aside to Goyle, who looked at Draco, he nodded.

I turned on my heels and made my way back out of the dining hall. Unaware of the black eyes following me.

                I walked slowly, pausing to stare out an open window that overlooked one of the courtyards. I rested my hand on my chin and leaned against the edge. I knew if I went to sleep now I wouldn’t wake up on time. I chewed my lip thoughtfully. Why did I even care if I was on time? It was bloody detention with the rude sarcastic potions master.  I groaned and dropped my hand, stepping away from the window. I wasn’t sure where I was walking, but I did know it wasn’t near the dungeons. It was around seven so I had about an hour before the torture would begin.