sixty nine | change

Bree's POV

It's been two and a half weeks.

Since my father's death. Since Elijah's sister was rescued. Since I lost everyone, in both the best and worst ways.

But I'm free. Antonio's body is gone, I made sure if that.

Watching his body being consumed by the flames was difficult. He was never my father. He was my boss, and in some ways my capturer.

Death hasn't ever been something that really affected me. Not since I saw my sisters lifeless eyes staring back at me from my hiding spot beneath that bed. Death has always been a part of life.

But seeing Antonio turn to flames made me cry. Because I had no idea what was next, or who I would become.

But at least there is no longer the threat of me going to prison. I get to start again, and be better. Which is not something that a lot of people get.

Elijah found and deleted the files that Antonio threatened to release. He helped me a lot that day, but he hasn't spoken to me since, or looked at me. It has made it extremely hard to get out of bed every day and go to class.

Jamie has tried to speak and get along with me again, which is unbelievably sweet considering he now knows I'm a monster.

But I can't do it. I can't do any of this.

I don't know what I'm going to do next. Biochem used to be interesting for me, but now the lecture halls and the people just remind me of my past.

Even though Antonio is dead, he'll haunt me forever. Burning his body created a clear before and after moment. I think the only way I can get myself to move forward is if I start again, somewhere else—where nobody knows me, where I can create new memories.

I stand from my seat in the lecture hall. The plastic chair squeaks with the lifted weight. Eyes turn to me, but my eyes only search for Elijah and Jamie. They're there, three rows behind me.

And they're both looking. Man, I miss seeing them smile at me.

The lecturer is not very happy about my sudden departure, which is clear from the disdain in his eyes and the muttered comments under his breath.

I step out the lecture hall, the door swinging closed behind me. My heart squeezes.

From all the money I have saved, I can go somewhere new. I'll apply for a visa. It won't be easy—and I'll have to work on myself a lot, but I can't stay here. Not like this.

"Ninja girl."

I spin at the sound of Jamie's voice. I didn't hear him come up behind me. Clearly I am not such a ninja, after all.

"Baby J." It feels weird calling him that now. As if we're friends or something. I never had a chance to thank him for joining me and Elijah that day, no questions asked. "Thank you for helping and not—"

He steps closer and brushes my cheek with his thumb. It comes away wet with my tears.

He watches me intensely. It is so unusal to see Jamie frowning, his eyebrows creased together. "You're not okay. What can I do?"

I shake my head, stepping away. Feeling so ashamed that I can't even look him in the eyes. "Nothing."

"Ice cream?"

"No, not—"

"No? You can't say no to ice cream. It solves all problems." His hand squeezes my shoulder. "Come on, you were there during my breakup. I needed you then. I can be here for you, if you need me now."