fifty seven | cupcakes

Elijah pins me back against the wall. My wrists are secured in his tight grasp, above my head. His hot kisses trail up my neck, to my lips. They're aggressive, primal and possessive. It makes it hard to stay upright; I want to melt into a puddle on my bedroom floor.

He kisses me as if he hopes that every of touch of his lips to my skin will brand me. The mark to remain permanent. Reminding everyone that I am his.

"Elijah," I moan. He releases his grip on my wrists to trail his hands over my skin, touching every inch of my warm skin. I savour the touch. My hands grab fistfuls of his shirt, wanting to rip it right off. My heart feels like it is fizzing and dissolving, like candy in water.

He releases a low moan. It tells me everything I need to know about how badly he wants me. It makes my toes curl and causes shivers to wash over me.

"We should stop . . ." The last words I wanted to hear from his lips. He begins to pull away. I pull him back and lower myself to my knees. No. His darkening eyes watch me as I push his shirt up and trail my tongue up his toned abs.

He throws his head back, giving in. The suggestion was only for my benefit; my comfort. His long fingers reach out to brush through my hair. He looks gorgeous from every angle. His masculine jawline is defined, even from down here. My eyes fall closed and, for some terrible reason, I think about all the girls who have touched him this way before. Who he has kissed and—

I stand and take a deep breath. "You're right. We should take a break. Wouldn't want to wake Jamie up." A good enough excuse.

He takes my face in his hands. "Why? He woke us up at four in the morning to kiss you right in front of me."

"We were already awake."

"Yeah, but he doesn't know that." But he doesn't push it. He drops his hands back to his side and climbs into my bed. "Come here."

I slide in beside him, into the warmth and comfort of his body, and he wraps me up so tight that, for just a moment, I feel safe.

"I love you, Bree."

And it was such simple, yet comforting words. To be loved, to belong, and to feel as if I matter for even just a few seconds. Even if it didn't last, this moment—those words—always would.

•<•>•

"Bree, wake up." A horrible human continues to shake me awake. Why? "Wake up," they hiss.

"Get away or I'll gut and skin you like a sheep." I am not joking. Skinning someone is not pretty. I've had to do it before, and if someone dares to wake me while I am sleeping, then I will not hesitate to do it again.

"You need to wake up. It's important. I didn't come here for nothing."

Jamie? My eyes fly open to find Jamie's face close to mine in the darkness of the room. Elijah's arms are still wrapped around me as he softly snores.

"What the hell were you thinking, kissing me? Seriously?" I gently pull Elijah's arms off and sit up.

"I'm sorry. You just looked so pretty and I was . . ." He glances away. Even in the darkness, I notice the redness in his cheeks.

"Heartbroken? Drunk? Stupid?" I offer.

"All of the above." He smiles, but it doesn't quite reach his eyes. Shaking it off, he says, "It's Elijah's birthday."

"What?" How did I not realise? Time has been both a blur and a drag. I've been so focused on not killing Elijah that I didn't bother to remember when he was born.

"Yeah, come on, let's make him some cupcakes." He motions for me to follow him out of my bedroom.

On the kitchen counter, Jamie has laid out all of the ingredients. He must of bought them himself, because I didn't have any baking powder or flour left. "You planned this? Is that why you came?" I ask.

"I planned on coming here to get your help with the cupcakes, yes. I am great at buying ingredients, but not so great at putting them together and making them edible. Since you made the brownies so well, I figured you'd be able to help." He smiles and rubs the back of his neck. "I didn't plan on getting drunk, or on kissing you. I'm sorry about that."

My face heats up. "I can't believe you did that. I'm shocked that Elijah didn't knock you out."

Jamie shrugs. "That's because a few years ago he got drunk and kissed my ex in front of me."

"Was this revenge?"

"No." He starts opening all of the ingredients. "The alcohol stopped me from being able to think as far as revenge. It was mostly anger—at Alex." He slumps over the counter. "I . . ." His eyes fall closed. I decide not to pat his shoulder or get close to him, after what he did earlier. "I never imagined she would do something like this. Must have been blinded by my feelings for her. I truly thought she was . . . more."

"Don't worry, Jamie. It doesn't matter what she is. As long as you stay true to yourself and be honest about who you are." A little hypocritical. "Then you'll attract the goodness that I know you have in your heart."

He looks up at me and there's a hint of guilt in his eyes. "Bree—"

I don't miss the expression he gives me. Shaking my head, I say, "I mean it. You are one of the best people I know. I'm so glad to have you in my life."

His features soften. "I'm glad to have you in mine. Now, can we stop being all soft and girly and bake some damn cupcakes."

•<•>•

Can you tell me your names (if you're comfortable with it)? I am looking for names for my characters in a different book.

T w i t t e r : xPineappleGirlx
I n s t a g r a m : laylaawrites
Y o u t u b e : xThePineappleGirlx

Lots of love and jelly tots - xThePineappleGirlx