Forgetful

It was bright and early. Matt was getting ready for work, lazily, not entirely awake. Until he heard the front door open, Jack was home. 

"I expected you home later." He called from the bathroom. He listened to footsteps approach. Matt straightened his tie and stepped out of the bathroom, into their bedroom. Jack was smiling as he walked over and planted a soft kiss on Matt's lips. He could see the obvious sleep deprivation. 

"I was supposed to be home later, but things change. I'll be here when you get home." he said and kissed his cheek. Matt grinned and proceeded to get ready. Later, he left for work. Jack was left home, and he prepped for when he'd come back. Matt had forgotten it was their anniversary. Jack hadn't and thought it was kind of cute that Matt was just kind of out of it and clueless. Usually Matt remembered everything, he had been working extra hours, and it was clearly wearing his memory thin. Jack didn't mind. Matt didn't mean to be so forgetful, and they'd still have a nice evening.

When Matt returned home, it was near dark. Jack had the blinds drawn down, and a some lights on, along with some candles. He had cooked and had the food ready. He also had roses for Matt. He waited for the tired doctor to shuffle his way inside. 

"Jack, why do you have the lights off? It's bloody dark." he said, yawning as he walked over. 

"Oh Matt, you're such a clueless sweetheart." he handed him the roses and kisses his cheek. For a moment, Matt furrowed his brow and stared at the roses. Until the realization sparked in his eyes, and the thought clicked in his mind. He suddenly looked very distraught. 

"Oh god! I'm sorry, I forgot our anniversary was today!" he sighed and hugged Jack. Jacked chuckled and hugged him back.

"Oh you're tired and overworked, I don't expect anything from you. It's alright, I promise. I made dinner early so we could go to bed early." Jack responded. Matt whined softly and nuzzled his face in his shoulder.

"You're so sweet it's not fair."

"I know, I know." a small smile grew on Jack's lips.