Coach Jenkins continued looking at each of us in turn. "Keep working hard, stay focused, and bring home that championship." He stated before we all filed out of the gym, sweaty and exhausted and I made my way towards the parking lot. As I drove home, I couldn't help but think of Semaijah and what she could be doing right now. Maybe she was out enjoying her day, or maybe she was at home, feeling the same way that I was feeling.

I pulled into my driveway and sat in my car for a few minutes, trying to clear my head before I went inside. I stepped out of my car and walked towards my front door. I walked into my empty house, the silence ringing in my ears. It was weird to be alone here, Ever since I started fucking with Semaijah she would be here waiting for me after every practice so walking in and not hearing her voice filling the space weird as hell.

I headed to the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of water, taking a long drink as I leaned against the counter. I closed my eyes, trying to take a deep breath and push away the negativity that was clouding my mind. "Nah I ain't gon go check what she doing." I told myself "Fuck that." I took my phone out of my pocket and went to her page.

"She look good." I mumbled.

I exited out of Instagram and went inside my room taking a shower before changing into fresh clothes. After I finished changing I grabbed my keys and went outside going to my parents house who was next to mine. "Baby what's wrong?" My mama asked as I walked inside of the house.

"Nun. Where Niya at?" I replied.

"Practice and stop lying." She said before she patted the seat next to her on the couch. "Come sit down and tell me what's been going on."

I sat down next to her "Me and Semaijah ain't together no more."

"What happened?"

I told her everything that had happened, from the moment Semaijah had confronted me about the girl she saw me with, to the argument we had in the car. My mama listened patiently, her expression growing more concerned with every word. When I finished, she let out a sigh and spoke up. "I understand why she's upset. Trust is everything in a relationship and when that's broken, it takes a lot to rebuild it. It's good that you're taking responsibility for your actions and want to fix things, but you also have to give her space and time to process her feelings. You also need to apologize to her and mean it and if it's meant to be, it will work out. Just keep communication open and honest."

"How ima do that and she won't talk to me? I think she got me blocked too ion know."

"You better find a way. Text her through Instagram, Twitter, FaceBook shit TextNow? Let her know how sorry you are for lying and breaking her trust. Be sincere and genuine, Ja."

"Aight Ma. I hear you. Ima try to reach out."

"That's all you can do, baby. Just remember, trust is a delicate thing. Once it's broken, it takes time and effort to rebuild. But it's not impossible."

I nodded, taking in her words. "Aight ma."

______

SEMAIJAH

I sat nervously in the car, tapping my foot on the floorboard as I waited for her Ahmahdi to be released from jail. I had been counting down the days, hours, and minutes, eagerly waiting for the moment I could see my best friend again.