Chapter Sixteen

The Pazzi Bank.

***

Y/N entered the bank through Francesco's office's window, conveniently located on the first floor. He wasn't working, as his head was still bothering him -- plus, she suspected he wanted to snoop around her home a bit while she wasn't there.

Once in his empty office, she quietly opened his door, and slipped into the office next to his -- belonging, of course, to his uncle -- who was at the records room. She hit behind the door, so that when it opened, she would be concealed by it. She held a dagger securely in her hand, and patiently waited for the door to open.

When it did, she made her move with a level of expertise that would have made her father proud. As soon as Jacopo was in his office, she shut the door behind him and pressed the blade to his neck from behind, holding him in a position where he could not run.

"Don't scream for your guard, it will just make this sad," Y/N instructed immediately, silencing the old man, "I am not here to harm you, just negotiate."

"Negotiate what?" Jacopo answered, trying to sound confident -- his voice wavered, betraying that facade.

"Have you noticed the absence of your nephew?"

"Which nephew? The one you're sleeping with or Guglielmo?"

Y/N brought the blade a little closer to his throat, drawing a whimper out of him. "For your information, I am a woman of God. I also aided in the escape and hiding of Guglielmo and Bianca de'Medici, so they may be wed. Now, I had considered assassinating you -- solving the threat you have to their marriage once it is officiated -- but I have decided to be nice."

"What threat do I pose?"

"Your public disagreement with the union will alienate them both from Florentine society. So here is my offer -- publicly, you will approve of the marriage. We'll even make it look like your idea. In exchange, I will make sure Lorenzo votes against the Milan Treaty. If you go back on this gracious promise, I will find you and slit your throat. Then, I will turn your home into a girl's military school. Do you understand me?

"I do, Madonna," He agreed, strained. Y/N released him, and he fell forward in relief, before scrambling to his desk.

"One more thing -- I intend to marry Francesco. If he asks for your blessing, you will give it to him. You will not tell him I spoke of the matter with you."

"Yes, Madonna." She watched as Jacopo sat at his desk chair, rubbing his throat. She exited, confident that she scared him enough, and exited through Francesco's office window, walking towards the Medici home.

***

She also broke into the Medici home, though it was much easier. She simply entered through the servant's entrance, and walked to Lorenzo's office -- which, of course, was actually Piero's office in her memory.

The doors were closed, and she heard men's voices inside, but she decided that interrupting a meeting of his would be immensely satisfying. She swung open the double-doors, silencing a group of men crowded around Lorenzo's desk, where he sat.

"Leave us," Y/N commanded.

The men looked to Lorenzo, who nodded -- prompting the men to file out.