Chapter Six

Florence.

***

Y/N spent most of her days preparing for the joust. She was determined to not only win, but to beat Lorenzo and the rest of those who doubted her. If Father Gasparro had asked her, or any other man of the cloth, she would confess that her motivations were unholy ones of revenge and pride, but such matters were private.  Plus, she was also doing this for the glory of her father, which seemed like a good enough cause. 

Additionally, Piero had explicitly said he wanted a member of his household to win the competition, but did not specify a jouster in order to give Y/N an opening to win without guilt. In recent days, Piero had fallen rather ill -- robbing a victory from his son would have weighed on her consciousness, if not for the old man's new request. 

Y/N had also been told to watch out for Francesco de Pazzi, for he had been the tournament winner the last two seasons. Apparently, he was aggressive. Y/N wondered if he would go easy on her, or not risk the humiliation of losing to a woman -- especially a woman he wished to court. 

But she moved forward regardless of any of this, holding her necessary equipment, and her registration having been confirmed. She was also incredibly confident when it came to her jousting aim -- but knew if she had anything she had to work on, it was her ability to stay grounded to her mare. 

After putting on an appropriate pair of black riding pants, she put on a white poet's shirt and loose vest -- roughly what she would wear at the tournament. She had made sure to wrap her breasts in bandages to keep them secure without her corset, and to hide them from unsavory competitors. 

Outside, her horse was waiting for her. The beast in question was rather large and intimidating -- a black destrier, but large for its breed. Her father had sent it to her for her last birthday, and she had taken to the horse. Her name was Nike, and her father had instructed she was only to be used by his daughter, as she was the only one capable of winning every time she rode Nike's back. 

"There's my darling," Y/N whispered to the horse, petting her mane with dedication, "You and I have a busy week ahead. But if you do me this service, I swear to you a future of apples and honey."

The horse seemed to nod, and Y/N jumped up as smoothly as she could to mount Nike. It was difficult given her stature, but they made it work. She went made her way through backstreets and out the city walls, moving towards the country roads. Once the manilla and white-bricked walls of Florence fell away and she and her stead were surrounded only by expanse, she squeezed Nike with her legs and felt her horse take off. Her hair was whipped out of her face, and the feeling of cold breeze and hot sun exhilarated her skin. She encouraged Nike to go as fast as she could, until the horse was going so fast that Y/N entire body was pressed against her, every muscle holding on for dear life. 

***

"Sister! You look exhausted," Leo spoke to Y/N in greeting as she collapsed onto his bed beside him, groaning as she did so.  

"Everything... is pain."

"Were you riding this entire time? I was under the impression you had been home for some time."

"I have been out this whole time," She confirmed, shifting in his bed to look at him. 

He put a hand on her head, moving hair out of her eyes, "You shouldn't push yourself so much. The joust is a week away, you should be biding energy."

"I wanted to brush up on my ability to stay on horseback in challenging conditions. After all, these men may lack my skill but they will make up for it in muscle... are you not training before the competition?"

He shrugged, "I only entered out of obligation to our family's image as warriors -- I figure I'll win a few rounds off my already existing skill, but I'll end up losing to you, Francesco, or Lorenzo."

"You're a fantastic joust! With some aiming practice, you have a shot at winning second."

"It's not that important to me."

"Understood," Y/N said, shifting to get out of his bed and moaning in pain as she did so. 

"If you would like, I can help you to your room and have dinner brought up to you."

"That would be lovely."

***

The next day, Y/N awoke from a deep slumber with aching muscles and a sluggish feeling in her soul. This was left uncured by her breakfast and tea, and she was left to struggle her way through the morning. 

She was in the library, writing a rather long letter to her father about the current status of life in Florence and developing conditions of the military notes he had been sending her, when the doors swung open and Lorenzo approached her.

"Good morning, Y/N. I trust you have a moment to speak?"

"I suppose I do. What can I help you with?"

Lorenzo dropped a paper in front of Y/N, and spread it out, placing alongside it a stack of parchment filled with notes and supply logs. They were tactical plans for an upcoming battle between two Papal states. 

"Milan and Venice are in conflict again, and I am being asked to finance a side by both powers. I would like your expertise -- who do you think will win?"

Y/N examined the plans and a series of notes from Lorenzo, and took a few moments before responding.

"Honestly, we will both die before this conflict is resolved, but I think Milan will end up greatly weakening Venice when all is said and done. In a few years, they will force the Sforzas to pick a side, and inevitably, that side will be Milan."

Lorenzo nodded, and scooped up his materials, "You are confident?"

"I am, given the political history and access to men and supplies."

"Well, then..." He spoke, standing straight with his scrolls, "I thank you, Y/N." 

"You are most welcome, Lorenzo."