Chapter Nine

The Palazzo Medici, Florence.

***

After the death of Piero, Y/N needed two days to recover. She had lost many loved ones before, and it never got easier. 

Her mourning was interrupted only when Lorenzo requested the entire household join together for a great dinner, where an important announcement was underway. 

Y/N decided she wasn't going to wear a dress from the get-go. She wanted to make it clear to everyone that she wasn't behaving in her usual way just because Piero had allowed it -- this is how she would act constantly and forever. And so, she put on her finest pants, white shirt, and a gorgeously embroidered corset-vest that was a magnificent blue color. It made her feel powerful, despite everything that had happened.

Leo knocked on her door to collect her for dinner.

"Do you have any idea what this is about?" Y/N asked him, following her brother down the hallway. 

"Not in the slightest," He answered, "Maybe they are marrying off Bianca. I know Lorenzo has been wanting to."

"God protect her soul," Y/N whispered as they entered the dining room, being almost the last to arrive. It seemed Giuliano wasn't yet there. 

"How are you this evening?" Y/N asked Sandro as she sat down, "Any progress on your art works now that you have Simonetta Vespucci posing for you?"

"There's been magnificent progress, I should have you by my studio again soon to see for yourself." 

Giuliano then entered, taking a seat. This commenced waitstaff pouring wine for the entire table, and once they were done, Y/N spoke up.

"So, Lorenzo, what news do you have for us?" She asked, taking a sip of wine and shooting a momentary glance to Bianca, assessing her reaction to the question. She had none.

Lorenzo stood up, causing everyone to look at him.

"I am announcing my marriage to the noblewoman Clarice d'Orsini."

Y/N and Leonardo both chuckled lightly, before Leo said, "No, Lorenzo -- really, what is the news?"

Lorenzo wavered a bit, and Y/N looked at him more incriminatingly. 

Y/N spoke again, "You must not be telling the true news to us, Lorenzo. We know you would never marry our family's biggest military enemy -- really, what is the news?"

"I am not marrying her," Lorenzo stated, "I am married to Clarice d'Orsini. We were married by proxy two days ago."

Y/N dropped the glass out of her hand, causing a shatter of glass. No one seemed to pay mind, all much more aware of the tension growing between the two Farneses and Lorenzo. 

"You have made a grave mistake, Lorenzo," Y/N spoke, standing up, "You will annul the marriage before it is consecrated. I will arrange it with Pope Sixtus and the matter will be dealt with and forgotten."

"No--" Lorenzo began.

Y/N interrupted him, "Clearly, you do not understand what is at stake, Lorenzo. Clearly, you do not understand that my father is your bank's biggest ally. Do not make us an adversary." She warned. Leo was silent in the exchange, his jaw clenching and unclenching in anger. 

"I would never want to make an enemy out of my closest ally, nor do I think my loyalty to your father is challenged by my marriage."

"'Challenged'? More like desecrated!" Y/N yelled, embodying a masculine rage few knew she was capable of, "I personally know hundred of men who died at the hands of the Orsini, Lorenzo. Men who raised me. Men who loved me. Men who sacrificed their lives to save me after the Orsini kidnapped me."