Chapter Twelve

The House of the Priori, Florence.

***

Y/N's decision to sneak into the Priori meeting was easily made. It was a matter of self-preservation: how could she best monitor her relationship with Milan? To what the politics of Milan unfold in front of her, and use that information to contact the Duke before Lorenzo, if anything were to run astray. 

So, she spent her morning digging through her brother's clothing and tucking her hair into a hat. She applied make-up to take away the feminine cuts of her face and enhance her androgynous features. It reminded her of the speech Sandro gave her when he sketched out her portrait. Finally, she binded her breasts with gauze and took cloth and bandages to her waist, reshaping her feminine figure to one must more boxy. Finally, she put on her brother's most plain clothing, and looked in a reflecting glass until she was confident she could pass as a man to the untrained eye. Then, she hoped and prayed that the Medicis and Francesco wouldn't look in her direction. 

In terms of entering the building, that wasn't difficult at all -- she simply entered with the crowd of noblemen who were part of the Priori, mixed with the merchants who watched the meetings. She took a seat in the back of the viewer's section, slipping out a ledger and piece of black charcoal to take notes. She looked around at the space -- it was a long hall, separated into two main spaces. That which was farthest from the door was slightly elevated, and it was there where the Priori was set up, sat in two rows of seats against either side wall, looking inward. The side closer to the door was for common people to sit and view, with an aisle in the center for easy passing for the Priori. 

The leading member of the Priori, a man who Y/N did not know the name of, but who was clearly identified by his all-red outfit and station at the center podium, began speaking: "Let us start by welcoming our new member to replace the ailing Messer Martino... Francesco Pazzi."

Y/N looked up in surprise. Francesco hadn't told her he was going to be appointed a role within the Priori. Y/N noticed Lorenzo looked just as shocked as she. The crowd began applauding, and she joined suit as she watched Francesco stand, smile, and wave. He was undeniably the most attractive man she had ever seen. He stood beside a man she knew as his uncle from the tournament -- an older fellow, with long, greasy grey hair. 

"Now to business," The leader spoke, hushing the applause, "Messer Medici. You have just returned from Milan."

"Yes..." Lorenzo began. To the discriminating eye of someone who knew him intimately, he looked tense. To anyone else, he was dominating and a force as he spoke. "I met with Duke Galeazzo Sforza and I renegotiated our treaty with far better terms for Florence." 

Applause broke out once again. 

"Under the proposed changes," He continued, "Trade routes will be diverted from Bologna to Florence -- generating more revenue for our people."

"And for the Medici bank." Y/N looked. It was Jacopo who said it. Cynical laughter lulled over the room. "If increased trade is the aim," Jacopo stood up, establishing himself as equal in stature to Lorenzo, "We would be better off seeking to ally ourselves with Venice again."

"A few weeks ago, was not Messer Pazzi clamoring for war with Venice?" Lorenzo countered, humor lacing his voice, "Now he seeks increased trade, gentlemen." A murmur of agreement followed. 

"My uncle is weary of Medici trickery," Francesco said. The room was overcome by the new voice, it was commanding and firm, "Using this republic to serve their bank's interests -- " Francesco turned to the viewer section of the room, and they locked eyes. It was clear -- he recognized her. She saw him. He looked away.