Chapter Thirteen

The Palazzo de Farnese. 

***

Y/N hadn't valued her brother's sage presence in her Florentine life until he had been gone for a handful of weeks. She realized then, that having someone you could depend on entirely was incredibly valuable. 

She imagined that her father may be relieved slightly, to have Leonardo in Rome beside him. The two of them had rarely been together, Y/N realized. Leo was sent away for school, while she was raised beside her father. Then, Leo moved off with Y/N to Florence when her brother finished school. 

So, really, this was the first time she was the one alone in the family. She hated the feeling. 

But she did appreciate their effectiveness. Within two days of sending out a messenger to the Vatican, one returned with a letter: her father affirmed the Pope's alliance with their family above all, and stressed the importance of the Milan-Florence Treaty. 

He also informed Y/N that Lorenzo's new wife -- the Orsini girl -- would be arriving in Florence that very day. Her father reminded her that, in spirit, he was always beside her -- even in moments as trying as this, where she found herself in the same city as the enemy. He told her to remember God, who had not abandoned her. 

He also told her to remember to work on her dagger fighting, and hand-to-hand -- she had a tendency to rely on her sword skills too much when in battle.

It was all good advice from her father, who she also missed terribly. She was beginning to hate this treacherous city -- its backstabbing Medicis, its heartbreaking Pazzis, and its utter lack of Farnese. 

Of course, all of this was made worse when a familiar artist arrived at her door. Of course, the artist was welcomed -- Sandro was one of her only friends in this world. Rather, his news was upsetting. 

"You will accompany me to Lorenzo's wedding feast," Sandro instructed, pulling Y/N into her bedroom, "Get a dress on."

"I am not going!" She scoffed, taking her hand away from her friend, "I refuse."

"You will reconsider when you hear that Lorenzo is trying to force Bianca into marrying Bastiano Soderini," Sandro claimed, his voice becoming a bit more strained, "I know you care for Bianca. This may be you last shot to crack a plan with her."

Y/N let out a shaky breath, swearing as she reached a hand to her necklace -- a cross -- and let out a silent prayer. Then, she turned to her closet and pulled out an emerald dress, beginning to change. Sandro turned around out of respect. "She loved Guglielmo Pazzi, yes?" 

"Yes."

"Does Lorenzo know?"

"I'm afraid he does."

"How?"

"She told him."

"Foolish, foolish girl," Y/N said, lacing up the corset backing of her dress, "When is this wretched dinner?" 

"Now."

"Oh for Heaven's sake! Turn around and help me!" Sandro did as told, and make quick work of her corset. Y/N ran to her vanity, and quickly applied make up and did her hair, adding her nice emerald-and-gold jewelry. She strapped two daggers to holders on her thigh, and then attacked a sword to her waist.

"Is the weaponry really necessary?"

"Yes. Let's go -- did you come in carriage?"

"Yes." Sandro hurried behind her, as they threw themselves into the carriage, and made their way hastily to the dinner.