Chapter Seven

Florence. 

***

Y/N rode into town alongside Leo, Lorenzo, and Giuliano. She was met with an uncanny amount of stares, onlookers whispering in the streets about the woman who would duel in the joust, a first for Florentine history. Some called her mad, others -- the devil. If not for her father's military standing and immense power, as well as the favor she had gained with the nobility of Florence, it is possible she would be burned in the streets as a heretic by the common people of the city. 

The streets of Florence were buzzing with excited spectators, ready to watch one of the oldest competitions of the region. Women wore their best dresses, and men drank their best wine. Bets were already being placed, and she could have sworn she saw Sandro approaching a betting counter. She knew he was hoping to make a small fortune off of her.   

When they arrived at the square where the tournament was being hosted, the group was immediately separated into two tents -- the organizers thought Y/N needed one for herself, out of concern for her modesty. She chose to take it, putting on her armor with mostly ease, until it came time to fasten her wrist guards. 

"Leaf, do you need any help?" Called her brother from outside the tent's curtain.

"Yes!" She called back. He entered, and quickly came over to fast the wrist guards and straighten out the rest of her armor, and help her add the decorative tunic on top of her chest plate. The tunic was blue and yellow, the signature colors of her family. Leo's was almost identical, but the colors inverted, so that the majority of his was yellow with accents of blue. 

"I think we look good," He said, smiling with an air of pure joy. 

"I would have to agree -- it is a shame that our helmets will hide our real selling points," She teased, "Although, that beard of your's does that already."

"I like the beard," Leo responding, straightening out, "It makes me look like a Greek hero."

Y/N laughed and rolled her eyes, picking up her helmet and confirming it was all in order. 

"You will go the fourth round," Leonardo told her, "After that, if you win, your next round will be assigned to you again. Understand?"

"Yes, I have it down," She affirmed, exiting the tent and trusting he would follow. They went to where their respective horses were waiting, and Y/N produced an apple out of her satchel. She fed it to Nike while stroking the beast's head. 

Leo checked both of their saddles, giving quality checks to both. They heard as the announcers called the first two jousters into place, and Y/N and Leo watched as spectators flooded into the designated area for onlookers. 

Y/N went back into her tent to grab her helmet, jousting stick, and shield -- the shield was decorated in her family crest, yellow with six blue fluer-de-lises.

She went outside and waited by her and Leo's horses as he did the same, retrieving his equipment. She was beginning to get anxious with pent up energy, ready to get onto her horse and just ride. 

She looked around to distract herself, and soon spotted Francesco and family getting ready. He was helping his little brother, Guglielmo, straighten onto his horse. Guglielmo and Giuliano, Y/N knew, would joust one another in the third round, which was soon approaching. 

Her eyes wandered until she was staring at Francesco, his body covered in armor, a but of his navy shirt poking out from underneath a silver chest plate. He looked strong. 

She then watched as Francesco turned towards the Medici tent, walking over to where Giuliano was being readied by Lorenzo. She strained herself to listen over the crowd of cheers.