Chapter Three

The Palazzo Medici, Florence

***

Y/N was in the Medici library, reading several scrolls her father sent to her from Rome where he had begun a consultative position with the Papal Armies. They detailed recent military attacks, and it was her job to analyze the issues in attack in order to give her father feedback on how to best aid the troops in their training. She already had two parchments full of notes and had gone through two pots of tea when the doors to the library opened, Lorenzo running through with a handful of letters in hand. 

Y/N quickly turned her papers over, shuffling them into stacks and obstructing Lorenzo's view of the highly confidential material. 

"Lorenzo -- back already from your trip?"

"Yes, actually," He said, watching her flip over the last of the papers with a momentarily curious expression, "Work for your father?"

"Naturally. He is the only man who fully appreciates my mind," Y/N smiled weakly, "What can I help you with?"

"Did you hear of the assassination attempt?" Y/N looked up at him in shock. 

"What?"

"Father's carriage was attacked just outside the city. His life was almost taken this morning."

Y/N was standing up, "Why did no one come get me?!"

"It was not a priority, I am telling you now."

"A priority?" Y/N raised her voice, "Lorenzo, he is family to me as well. You know that man loves me just as he does you! How dare you not inform me!" She slammed a hand on the table, her body filling with a seething rage. 

"I am telling you now." He kept his voice controlled.

"Did you tell Leonardo?"

"Why does it matter?"

"Did you tell Leonardo?!" Y/N now yelled, her voice booming in the most masculine way. Lorenzo folded slightly with the unexpected sound.

"Yes."

"You are unbelievable, Lorenzo," Y/N spoke through gritted teeth, grasping on the side of the table to keep from striking him, "Unbelievably stupid, insecure, and petty. You are petty, Lorenzo. Where is he? His bedroom?" Y/N spoke, suddenly moving out of the room and towards the staircase.

"Y/N, you cannot see him!" Lorenzo called after him.

"Why -- family only?!" She called back in anger, quickening her pace as she approached the bedroom of Piero. When she opened the door, Lucrezia was at the bedside of Piero who laid under his covers in an exhausted state. Y/N began crying at the sight, collapsing next to his bed. 

Lorenzo crashed in after her, startling Lucrezia. 

"What is the meaning of this?" Lucrezia asked, looking between the two young adults.

"He didn't tell me!" Y/N cried into the bed, her face on the mattress next to Piero. The old man patted her head, comforting her. 

"Lorenzo!" Lucrezia scolded, "You did not!"

"I was wondering where you had been off too," Piero spoke weakly, "My little soldier." Y/N sobbed again. She had loved Piero so much more than the rest of the Medici family. He treated her the way her father had, with pride. He was not ashamed of her the way other men were. In some ways, Piero was a sort of miracle -- it was rare enough that her father was a man of such open mind and heart. To meet two men of such caliber must have been divine intervention. 

After calming down, she pulled away from the bed and looked at Piero, "Tell me what happened."

"We were riding through the woods just outside the city walls when our guards were hit with arrows and my driver was shot through... the carriage went wild and was flung to the side... I banged my head on collision but Guiliano and Lorenzo saved me."

"What about Sandro and Bianca? They were coming too?"

"They were fine, the had been riding in back so they returned immediately and went directly to the town to get medical services," Piero explained. 

Y/N turned to Lorenzo, "Why didn't you tell me?"

They all looked to him. "I... I don't know."

Y/N stood up, gave Piero a kiss on the head, and whispered a prayer in his ear. She exited the room, quietly pushing past Lorenzo. 

***

Y/N had kept walking until she was in the village square, fully in men's clothes. She had been strictly warned against such an action, but her rage blinded her into a fit of energy surplus. She did laps around every city block, her face still feeling puffy from crying. 

Francesco nearly didn't recognize her for this reason. That and the pants she wore. She flew past him and his bank so quickly he almost missed her. 

***

Y/N returned home late at night and slightly drunk, going directly to the library and sitting down with her work and a bottle of wine she picked up, pouring herself a glass as she began working through parchment after parchment. 

She barely processed it when the door opened, revealing Lorenzo in his nightclothes. They looked at one another for a moment, before Lorenzo took a seat across from Y/N. 

"I need to apologize, Y/N, for my behavior. Both today and in the past, regarding you... I should have told you as soon as we returned."

"Why do you treat me like an outsider, Lorenzo?" Y/N asked, clearly influenced by wine as she leaned back in her chair, looking at him with an unwavering glance. 

He looked back at her, "You intimidate me, Y/N. If you were a man, my father would toss me out and make you heir to the Medici Bank. I have resented you for it, and I realize now that it was foolish," He leaned forward, "I vow to never do so again."

Y/N nodded, standing up and walking to him, hugging him at an awkward angle due to her standing position and his sitting one. He half reciprocated before wishing her a goodnight, and returning to his room. 

***

"Leaf, wake up..." Leo shook his sister awake, causing her to shoot up from the desk in the library -- a piece of parchment momentarily sticking to her face.

She looked around and saw the empty bottle of wine and military plans and quickly awoke, now understanding she had fallen asleep in a drunken stupor while working. 

Her brother read her notes, "This is impressive feedback for being drunk, tired, and sad."

"Thank you, brother, for your invaluable praise," Y/N spoke while stretching out, cracking her back in the process. She gathered her finalized notes and organized them into letters, placing wax over a melter to stamp them shut. 

"I heard you and Lorenzo had a heart-to-heart last night."

"I slightly remember that," Y/N nodded, "All we can do is move on. Plus, in coming days I will be more preoccupied with prepping for the joust than harboring a grudge. Speaking of which, if I give you my measurements, can you order me some new armor?"

"Consider it done. Sandro told me you've begun paying for the education of a child?"

"Yes, a fruit seller's son. His name is Santi -- I would like to have him and his family over for dinner sometime next week, an absolutely darling family."

"You and your charitable heart. I will handle the armor, and I will remind Lorenzo that he owes you a shield. Do you have a jousting stick?"

"Do you have a jousting stick I could borrow?"

"I am also participating, fair sister, but I will order you one of your own. Also, Sandro asks to see you in his studio."

"I'll head there now, thank you," She smiled once the last envelope was sealed.