96 ∞ The Progenitor

Começar do início

«Open your eyes, Ayla!»

Ayla snapped her eyes open to a light so bright it hurt. Squinting, she swung her face away, and her mouth and nose went underwater. She sputtered for air, her flailing arms and legs splashing water, lapping it over her face.

Arms from behind wrapped around her shoulders. "Eeeasy there."

Ahmid pressed his cheek against the crown of her head as he steadied her on the submerged ledge. "It's okay. You're alright, now."

Involuntary coughs stabbed through her rib cage. Through it she recognized Ahmid's soothing presence and steadfast solidness. She was sitting up now. Water covered her hips and streamed from her hair and face, but Ahmid's gentle thumps between her shoulder blades to help her clear her airways only added to the pain. Gesturing at him to stop, she worked at clearing her stinging throat, wiped her eyes, and looked around.

She recognized the waterfalls. She was in the Garden, sitting with her back against the rock-like edge of the pool, the artificial sun overhead bright, calling forth intense color. Vivid blue of the water, sharp green of the grass, a brilliant cascade of blooming and fruited trees, she took it all in. She wielded it against the black and gray of the dead world within the depths of her mind.

Memories flooded into her, but they seemed from so long ago. She remembered her run to the Oak tree as some insane version of herself. How close she'd come to touching it! That she'd so willingly answered that dark call appalled her, terrified her. She wrapped her arms around herself, realizing how close she'd come to be Lost. The ash, wind, and cold would have claimed her for good.

She became aware of water draining from the sleeves of her robe, and Ahmid's hand resting on her shoulder. Every breath she took made her left side ache.

"We'll have to get that checked. You may have some damaged ribs."

The memory of Gareth slamming into her hit her thoughts with a jolt.

"He saved me," she murmured and turned carefully her body sideways on the underwater shelf.

Confusion flared within Ahmid. "What?"

She wrapped her arms around her bent knees and rested her head as her breathing slowed. Oddly, she found herself preoccupied with the sensation of the water lapping around her hip and thighs.

"He saved me," she repeated softly, trying to wrap her mind around the concept.

"I don't understand what you're saying, Ayla!"

The spike of alarm lacing Ahmid's voice focused her thoughts as she tried to work out his confusion. Lifting her head, she replayed her words and realized what had happened.

I used Gareth's language. But how?

Not looking at Ahmid, she repeated herself, finding her own language odd to her tongue, "He saved me."

"I think you may be right. I didn't like the idea of you leaving the presence of your family. But I knew you needed time by yourself, so I trusted you. You've created quite a mess, dear. One I don't know can be repaired." He drew a deep sigh. "Be as that may be, we shall do the best we can. In the meantime, I'll keep you within my sight at all times."

Ayla dropped her head back on her knees. "Why am I in the water, Ahmid? Where's Lina?" Strangely, she didn't feel cold. She felt weak, and each breath took on a new level of pain.

"I sent her away an hour ago. She was becoming too distressed to do you any good. As for why you're here, you were suffering from hypothermia, so Lina and the Captain brought you here to keep you warm." Ahmid shifted to see the side of Ayla's face. "When you're ready, I'll help you out. I've got two towels here waiting for you."