80 ∞ Overstepping Bounds

A/N: Dedicated to syrius1980 for spotting our chapter posting blooper when no one else did!

Shortlisted – Day 0004

The sound of an alarm going off intruded upon Gareth's sleep. It was loud and incessant, repeating its pattern over and over again. It didn't take long before memories from yesterday pounced upon him like a predator, and in an instant, he awoke. He sat erect, his body stiff from falling asleep in the armchair.

Grimacing, he stretched his spine. "Ancilla, turn off that noise."

"Notification attached. Would you like me to read it?"

"No. Display please." He turned his gaze to the wall monitor as the message appeared.

'Good morning, Gareth. Clothes have been delivered to your door. See you in an hour.'

The message was unsigned, but Gareth didn't need it to be. He went to the door and retrieved the box sitting just outside the apartment. Back in the living room, he set it on the coffee table and opened it.

New military boots and gear suitable for field duty.

He took the box to the bedroom and tossed it onto the bed without pausing. In the bathroom, he stripped and turned on the water, cold. The first step into the shower sent him into shivers with rapid, heaving breaths. But he rode out his body's complaint and contained his physical reaction to the temperature.

It brought him mental clarity and an endless loop of questions. Nothing else mattered.

What was she doing? Why was she doing this? Why hadn't she turned to him? Didn't she know he loved her no matter what? Didn't their vows mean anything to her anymore? Was this part of her illness? What could he do if it was? If it wasn't, what could he do?

The questions continued in circles as he efficiently showered and dried himself, then shaved his two-day-old stubble. Donning the clothes Harlin sent, he tried to focus on only the task before him to distract his mind from its painful, repetitious quest for answers.

There's only one course of action to get answers, and I'm doing it.

Memories of his early days of service flashed by as he put on the close-fitting fighter pilot jacket before the full-length mirror on the wall.

A thin man looked back at him, ready for the field, responsibility, and duty. Gareth noted the bulging pockets and checked a couple. He was amused to find all the accessories that came with field duty, including a multi-tool pocket knife, parachute cord, and firestarter.

"Ancilla, time remaining on message."

"Forty-three minutes," his A.I. answered from the mirror.

Just enough time to brew some tea. "Send reply: Roger that."

"Message sent."

He went to the kitchen. But waiting for the water to boil was a mistake—his mind jumped back to churn the painful questions.

Steaming cup in hand, Gareth returned to the living room and sat down. As he blew on the tea, his thoughts took off on a tangent, and an idea popped to the fore.

"Ancilla, allow A.I. entity Maat access. Confirm, please."

"Confirmed."

He sat up in the armchair, his gaze fixed on the wall monitor. "Maat?"

A half-second pause, perfectly timed, then Maat's voice answered, "Yes, Captain Levant."

"Advise me when Harlin is five minutes out, please. I want to meet him on the roof."