✧ how to handle plot holes

please comment some requests i'm running out of ideas!

so as we know with most shows, tvd has plot holes and inconsistencies.

like any show.

i'm not sure why people get so upset with these, i think it's normal. especially when you have multiple writers.

and as a writer, i'll be honest, i forget what i've written sometimes. not the big plot points but small stuff will be forgotten. i think it's normal.

but of course this can create some inconsistencies.

for example, in the vampire diaries, rebekah says klaus hates kol. in the originals we see that's not true. sure he's not klaus' favourite, but we see klaus tell him that he needs him, adores him, and we see him trying to protect him a few times.

another popular one is the cure. in order for the cure to work, silas had to drink all of katherine's blood whereas when stefan was turned, he only had a small amount of elena's blood.

so there are inconsistencies and plot holes that are annoying. so what do you do?

i think there are a few options.

the easiest one is to ignore them. let the plot holes remain. my guess is that most people will understand because that's what it was like in the show.

second one is to make a connection and explain it. now some are a bit tricky, for example the plot hole about the cure. because we aren't very clear on how it works.

maybe because silas was older he needed more of it? is it possible? guess so. we don't have a confirmation so i don't think readers would be upset by it.

it's also possible that silas just didn't know any better. he wanted to be human and he didn't care about katherine. so maybe he thought he needed all the blood and he doesn't.

we don't have an exact answer. so try to come up with one.

i think it's a lot easier to explain inconsistencies in their characters than in these little elements of how vampires and magic works.

i think i mentioned this in the kol tips when he said that falling in love with mortals was weakness, yet with absolutely no character development yet, he saw davina and wanted to be with her almost instantly.

inconsistency? yeah. can you explain it away? absolutely.

maybe he was trying to convince himself of that, maybe he was just teasing rebekah, maybe he really did believe that and then saw davina and was just like "never mind" maybe being a witch made him feel different.

who knows. it's a fanfic. have fun with it.

as long as you're consistent in how you handle it, you should be fine.

it's a little like coming up with theories to explain it and incorporating them into your fanfic.

if you ever have any specific ones that you need help with, please let me know and i'll see what i can come up with.