✧ make it unique

i hope i don't sound mean here.

one thing that will really help give your story a unique voice is recognizing that what the characters do and say can change when you introduce a new character.

i don't see it as often as i did before but i remember i would see a lot of fanfics at one point where the script was the exact same for scenes and the OC would basically replace whoever was meant to be in a scene.

for example, let's say it was the scene where damon and elena first met and instead of being someone else, it would be the OC.

two things to note here, for one, unless it completely makes sense i wouldn't recommend recreating a scene between a couple on the show for your new couple. you should give it some originality!

elena was on that road for a reason so unless you give a good reason as to why elena is no longer on that road and the OC now is, i wouldn't recommend doing that but also because you want your couple to be unique (i'm guessing). not just a copy of delena.

secondly, in scenes like this sometimes the exact script is used as in damon says what he said to elena and the OC responds exactly the same way.

is it possible?

for the actual tvd character, i think it is, at least for the first few lines. at this point, they don't know your OC so the story is still the same. the characters are still the characters. i don't remember what any of the characters said when they first met their love interests but at one point i think that kol said something along the lines of liking girls with sharp tongues. there's a chance he could say that more than once and a line like that still could be kept. but then the conversation would continue and the OC would introduce themselves and then things change.

my point is, i don't think you should use the exact same script or keep scenes exactly the same, especially when it comes to your OC. your OC probably wouldn't say the exact same thing to damon that elena would, especially if they have different personalities. take that into consideration. adjust.

if you care about readers, that could be something that draws them away. when i'm reading a fanfic, i don't want to feel like i'm watching the show. i want something different and i'll stop reading. i don't know if everyone feels that way, maybe some don't, but i do and i'd like to say that i'm not alone in feeling that way.