✧ salvatore sibling oc

so i did a sibling oc fanfic thing earlier but i thought i'd do one specific for each family starting with the salvatores.

personally i love these stories and am currently writing one. it's also a klaus mikaelson fanfic.

so i thought i'd leave some tips to help you!

1. remember that lily died a few years after stefan was born. which means if your oc is younger than stefan make sure to remember that can only be by a certain amount of years. she died in may of 1858 and stefan was born in november of 1846.

2. if your oc has not been in mystic falls since 1864 or around then they do NOT have their childhood room in the boarding house. the boarding house wasn't built yet, i believe it was being built at the time or much later. the boarding house was completed in 1914.

3. realistically, the brothers are not ignoring their sibling for elena 24/7. i see this a lot in books and it is very inaccurate.

stefan and damon still very much have time for other people. they have friends. yet in these fanfics they're glued to each other's hips.

not to mention that the timeline of it doesn't make sense. season one? for stefan maybe, for damon no. he clearly had other things going on. season 3 stefan wasn't even with elena. so just think about the timeline. the whole show they were not only with elena and with no one else. they still had friends and lives.

also they don't neglect each other for elena (they have other issues but not elena) so why would they suddenly neglect their other sibling?

also think about it? if your oc is married to klaus mikaelson are we surprised that their relationship is rocky? probably not. and that doesn't have to do with elena. it has to do with the fact that damon hates klaus for good reason.

it's so funny to me because people hate on elena because she "makes everything about her" but i've never seen anyone do that more than fans who don't like her.

elena is also shown to value family so she probably wouldn't be actively trying to break them apart she would actually encourage them to be closer.

remember that elena was civil towards damon until he was revealed to be a bad guy. she tried to be nice to him. so i don't see why she'd suddenly be trying to break the siblings apart.

4. remember that they are over a century old.

i notice this a lot with vampire ocs but specifically ones that her siblings of the salvatores for some reason.

yes they could be a younger sibling and maybe they turned at a younger age but they're still adults with their own lives and are most likely independent. it obviously depends on who the oc is as a person but i notice some people just write them as if they're the same age as elena and bonnie just because.

they can be strong and know how to take care of themselves. they most likely wouldn't need their brothers for everything.

i just thought i'd put this out here because i see it a lot in the ways in which ocs are constructed.

think about stefan. yes he's physically 17 but he is much more mature than the typical 17 year old because he's not actually 17. unless you have a reason for it make sure to write them as their age.