✧ welcome!

hi and welcome to my vampire diaries writing tips book. since i have been in the fandom for quite some time now and have been writing and reading fan fiction, i decided to write a little writing tip book for it! i'd also like to clarify that i'm not a professional writer or anything. just someone who loves the vampire diaries, writes fan fiction, and wants to help!

before we begin, i thought i'd outline what this book will and will not do. i will start with what this book will not do that way, if you're looking for something specific and notice i said i won't be doing that than this may be helpful. the list of what i will do will grow but most likely the list of what i won't do won't.

what this book will not do:

1. this book will NOT help you find face claims. i am absolutely terrible at finding them especially when they have to look like someone. so please don't ask me to find a faceclaim that could be a salvatore or a mikaelson or any face claim in general!

2. this book will not help with legacies fan fiction. i cannot give advice on how to write any of their characters or their ships as i have not watched the show.

3. this book will NOT help you gain views. i have no problem helping you with things like how to stay true to the characters or the show or grammar tips which could indirectly help with readers, but the purpose of my tips will be to help you develop your book. more readers may come as a result, but that isn't the goal. i don't know the best times to post or the best tropes to use to help you gain more readers.

4. this book will NOT tell you how to write your book. one thing that has always drew me away from reading writing tip books is when they tell you exactly how to write your book based off of their own personal preferences. the purpose of this book is to help you and answer questions that you may have. the purpose of this book is not to make you feel bad because i don't like your writing style.

onto what this book will do!

1. this book will try to give some writing tips for the different characters. i will try to do a chapter for each main character and breakdown some key elements to their character. i'll give some personality traits, examine how they are as a person/friend/family member/romantic partner. you'd be more than welcome to comment requests for characters that you may want to know more about sooner than they would appear on my list. you can also ask specific questions regarding your own story if you'd like.

2. i will give some advice on writing certain types of fanfics. for example, fanfics where the OC is a sibling of one of the main characters, a friend who grew up with them, a friend of the past etc.

3. i will give some reminders of common mistakes i see that don't align with canon. by this i mean things like accidentally saying that elijah is the oldest mikaelson or klaus was a hybrid before he arrived in season two (before the curse broke).

4. this book will give details on characters that appeared in the show as they appeared in the show. what this means is i will try my hardest to give tips about the characters that are accurate to the show, not my own personal opinion on them. i will try to keep my personal opinions out of it as much as possible.

5. this book will give advice on how you could write a friendship/relationship between two characters who have never met or had limited interactions within the show. for example, if you wanted some advice on how klaus and kai might act around each other, i would be more than happy to help you figure that out and will use my knowledge of the characters and how they treat other characters to help understand how they might act.

6. i have no problem helping with timeline related questions (it can be a bit tricky when dealing with moments that occurred in the past, especially with the mikaelsons because you have a lot of years there).

7. i will help you figure out the rules of the supernatural in the show. sometimes they can be hard to remember and if you're trying to add something new that might bend or break the rules, i'll try to remind you of how some things work. if you're creating a "new" supernatural element that wasn't seen directly in the show but you want to make it fit, i can help with that. i myself have done that before and it can be a bit tricky if you don't want to straight up break the rules that the show set.

8. i will give some advice on how to write a story between a main character and an original character.

9. this book will take requests! if it is something that i said i will not do then please don't request it but other then that, you are free to ask! i'm not sure whether requests will be done in order or i will do what i can help with quickly first. if it's something you need done quickly, please say that and i will try to get to it. requests may be answered through comments if it's quick, but i will try to make a chapter for it if it is something that could help a lot of people.

10. i will also take regular writing tip requests that are more general and not specific to the vampire diaries.

that is just a general outline of what i hope to accomplish. i hope that i'll be able to help! reminder that i don't own any of the vampire diaries or the originals characters or plots that i talk about. all rights go to their respective owners.