PROLOGUE

PROLOGUE

we're the pogues,
and our mission this summer
is to have a good time,
all the time.

BAMBI LICKED THE LAST BIT OF THE PAPER THAT BELONGED TO THE JOINT she was rolling, she was on her last bit of weed and she wanted to make it last.

she leaned against JJ as she rolled the joint, her brown hair blew behind her back and her tongue was out her mouth slightly to help her concentrate better.

the seagulls flew around the sky, making noises that helped her mind relax. she knew it was weird finding comfort from birds but she didn't care.

"That's what, a three-story fall to the deck?" pope estimated, looking at John B who was balancing on the roof of a half-built house, "I give you about a one-in-three chance of survival,"

John B licked his finger and placed it in the air, looking back down at the boy, "should I do it?"

"yeah, you should jump," Pope agreed, holding up a drill that he had picked up from one of the tables, "I'll shoot you on the way down."

the brunette on top of the roof raised his eyebrows and pointed gun fingers at Pope, "your gonna shoot me?"

"I agree with Pope, with you gone, i get the whole house to myself and you know what that means?" Bambi looked at her brother, "i can smoke as much weed as i want,"

Just as John B was about to reply to his sister, a girl walked out of the house with a frown, "they're gonna have Japanese toilets with towel warmers,"

"of course, they are, why wouldn't they?" JJ sneered from beside Bambi, not surprised that the Kooks would get anything to make their house a little fancier.

"This used to be a turtle habitat but who cares about the turtles, i guess?" Kiara scoffed, looking around for John B and when her eyes landed on the top of the house, she rolled her eyes, "Can you please not kill yourself?"

Bambi packed down the joint she had just rolled and twisted the end of it before putting it into a doob tube to make sure it wouldn't get squashed inside her jacket pocket.

"Don't spill that beer." JJ told John B, taking a sip of his own beer that was in his hand, "I'm not giving you another one."

as if it was planned, a gust of wind came and made the boy lose balance, since he was more focused on not slipping, his hand opened and everyone watched the beer that was once in it, fall to the floor with a bang, "Woah! Oh shit!"