52 ¦ His only Family

Start from the beginning

"I didn't get the spot," I immediately retort, lowering my gaze. I put a hand to my stomach. "Besides, it's not going to work out with my studies anyway in my current state." "But you still want to study, don't you?", Sunghoon asks, reaching for my hand, which I continue to rest on my stomach.

Painting is my passion. And of course I would love nothing more than to start this study. However, my plans have changed quite a bit over the past weeks and months. "I don't know," I sigh.

"Nonsense," Sunghoon replies, squeezing my hand gently. "We both know you'd love nothing more than to study. You have so much talent... It would be terrible if you didn't share that with the world. Don't give up on your dream."

It makes me happy that Sunghoon is considerate of my desires and dreams and supports and encourages me to pursue them instead of talking them down like my father always did.

Sunghoon is right. It would be foolish of me to give up on my dream. Of course, it will be a challenge to balance child and studies, but with him by my side, everything feels so easy. When I am with him, all my doubts and fears vanish into thin air. I love him. And with each passing day, my feelings for this man only grow more.

So much has happened in the past few months; both good and bad things. But Sunghoon has always stayed by my side. I can't even imagine my life without him. Especially now that a part of him is growing inside of me. Sunghoon and my child. Our child.

"I want to be there for our child first.... But then I can well imagine enrolling in college," I explain to Sunghoon, who reaches for my face with a smile. "Together we'll figure it out, Lola," he assures me, placing a gentle kiss on my lips. "Together we'll get it all done," he breathes into the kiss.

Not even for a split second do I doubt his words, because I'm convinced they're true. Smiling, I bury my fingers in his brown hair and pull his face closer to mine to return the kiss. I open my lips a little more and feel our tongues join together.

Soon after, however, Sunghoon pulls away from me again. "I don't want to stop you from eating, after all, you're eating for two," he says a little breathlessly, eyeing my face. His golden eyes sparkle with joy and his slightly swollen lips form into a wide smile.

After I finish my breakfast, I take a shower and get ready for his cousin's visit. Although Sunghoon has assured me that she will like me, I want to make as good an impression as possible.

TimeSkip:

"She's here," Sunghoon informs me as I descend the stairs to the first floor. The heart in my chest skips a beat before continuing to beat at least twice as fast. "Don't be nervous. You'll love her and she'll love you," Sunghoon assures me with a smile.

"I won't bite either, I promise," a voice sounds from the living room. Shortly after, a beautiful young woman with dark eyes and long black hair that falls curly over her shoulders enters the hallway. In her arms she holds a little girl who looks at me with wide eyes before shyly hiding her face.

"Don't be afraid, dear. This is Uncle Sunghoon's fiancée. Her name is Dolores." Obviously, Sunghoon seems to have already told his cousin more about me than I previously thought. It relieves me, because this way we don't have to explain it to her.

My gaze falls on Sunghoon, who accepts his cousin's daughter. "Come to me little one," Sunghoon says in her direction. His voice sounds soft and soothing as he looks at the little girl. Immediately, she starts laughing and wraps her little arms around Sunghoon's neck.

"My name is Eun-Ji, by the way," Sunghoon's cousin informs me. Before I can even consider whether or not to offer my hand in greeting, she is already pulling me into a tight hug. Immediately, I feel accepted and welcomed.

"I'm very happy to finally meet you. Sunghoon has told me so much about you" "I'm glad too" I say a little shyly and return her hug. Shortly after, we break away from the embrace as well.

"You're even prettier than he described to me," Eun-Ji remarks, smiling broadly and giving Sunghoon a slight side blow with her elbow. He flinches briefly and then rolls his eyes with a grin.

"This is my daughter Iseul, by the way," Eun-Ji introduces me to her daughter, who Sunghoon is still carrying in his arms and who keeps looking at me out of her small brown eyes.

Sunghoon nudges her nose, whereupon she shakes her head, giggling, and reaches for his nose. "Oh no, you stole my nose," he says, playfully stunned, holding his nose with his free hand. "What am I going to do without my nose?" He raises his eyebrows and grins broadly at Iseul, who reaches for his nose again. "There," she gives, patting his nose as if to give it back to him. "Thank goodness I got my nose back."

I can't help but smile. It makes me happy and fills me with confidence and warmth to see how lovingly Sunghoon treats his cousin's daughter. If he treats our child like this too, I have no doubt whatsoever that he will become an excellent father.

"Look, Iseul," he says, standing immediately in front of me. The little girl looks at me curiously out of her brown eyes before looking at Sunghoon. "This is Dolores but you can also call her Lola. We're getting married really soon."

"Lola," Iseul says, smiling shyly at me. Sunghoon laughs softly before nodding affirmatively. "That's right, Lola," he repeats before squatting down on the floor in front of me and pointing at my stomach. "And in there is your cousin."

"What?", Eun-Ji speaks up. Her eyes wide, she looks back and forth between me, my belly, and Sunghoon. She doesn't seem to have known about the pregnancy until now. Sunghoon turns his head in her direction before rising from the floor and putting his arm around my shoulders. He places a kiss on my temple.

Eun-ji turns to me. "You're...?" I nod before she can even finish the sentence and put my hands to my stomach. "Oh my God," she says excitedly, waving her hands around in front of her face as tears well up in her eyes. "I can't believe this. I'm really happy for you two," she informs us, falling around my neck first and then Sunghoon's.

"How far along are you?" she asks me. "As of Saturday in week seven," I inform her.  "I can't believe this... First Sunghoon tells me he's engaged and now this," Eun-Ji informs me, shaking her head in bewilderment. She wipes the tears from her face with the back of her hand.

"I'm so happy for you two," she says again.  We make our way to the living room, where I spend the entire afternoon chatting with Eun-Ji and watching Sunghoon as he engages with Iseul. I can't wait to hold our child in my arms and watch Sunghoon be just as loving with her or him for hours.

But there is one thing missing. One person, to be more specific, Leela. Since our last meeting, which Sunghoon arranged, we haven't had much to do with each other except for a few WhatsApp messages.

The last few months have pretty much driven us apart. But I would like to reestablish contact. Especially now that I'm getting married and pregnant, I miss sharing all this with my best friend.

A/N: Think I'll add some new drama to this story otherwise it'll get too boring and we dont want that :))