Chapter 13

Y/N was awoken by the sound of loud chatter coming from outside her room. She pulled the covers off her bed as her feet met with the cold wood floor. She scanned the room for her parents, only to find their beds empty. She stood up and found her parents leaning over the balcony railing. 

"Everything alright? What's with the ruckus outside?" Y/N asked groggily, rubbing her eyes. 

Her parents stayed quiet, and continued surveying the scene unfolding before their eyes. 

Curious, she leaned over the railing too, and her eyes widened at the scene. 

A man who looked a lot like Frank or Ernest was floating in the pond outside the hotel, seemingly lifeless. The Baudelaires stood near the pond, facing Count Olaf as a harpoon gun lay on the ground between them.  

A murder of crows soared above them, and Y/N knew what was to come. 

Just then, a woman yelled: "Somebody shot that manager and he fell into the pond! I saw it while I was bird watching." 

Another man chimed in, "Those concierges shot the manager! I saw it while I was ironing my cummerbund!"

A lemon-yellow taxi car strolled in, and a man dressed in a grey suit stepped out. 

Y/N noticed her parents' eyes widen with recognition. 

"Lemony?" her mother whispered. 

"But he died, didn't he?" her father replied. 

The man walked towards the Baudelaires, both parties whispering until Justice Strauss entered. The Baudelaires walked towards Strauss, leaving the man behind. 

The man's expression was one of defeat. He surveyed the area, his eyes falling on the railing the Astor family was leaning on. 

Y/N's parents simply smiled at who seemed to be their old friend, and the man supported a shocked face before he returned the gesture. He glanced at the Baudelaires one last time and taking off in his taxi. 

Y/N turned to her parents. 

"They couldn't have possibly murdered the manager." 

Her mother answered softly, 

"I know darling, it could have been an accident or they could have been framed. Let's talk about this in the morning, everything will get sorted out at the trial."

"Isn't that on Thursday?"

"It's been moved to tomorrow." F/N replied. 

Y/N simply nodded and went back to bed. Though, she did have a hard time falling asleep. 

She hoped the Baudelaires were okay, being that close to a murder scene. Couldn't they catch a break? But, she found solace in the fact that the trial would finally bring Count Olaf to justice. 

Before she knew it, she was already dozing off. 

                                                     ━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━

Y/N was awoken by a strong nudge to her shoulder. 

"Wake up dear! You need to get ready." Her mother stated. 

Y/N simply yawned in response and rubbed the sleep out of her eyes. 

She headed for the restroom to take a shower and brush her teeth. She then randomly pulled out a dress from her suitcase, decided it was good enough, and changed into it. 

"Justice Strauss sent us a message to wear blindfolds to the trial." Her father spoke. 

"Blindfolds? What for?" Y/N inquired.