Chapter 3

After they'd all settled into the shack, Duncan spoke.

"We found it in the ashes. We'd never seen it before"

"It can't be a coincidence. Two fires, two halves of a spyglass." Violet added.

"I think it's more than a spyglass," Klaus replied. He fumbled with the two separate pieces of the spyglass and joined them together. They clasped with a nimble "Click!".

"I agree, there are dials and little inscriptions on them, they could be used for cracking codes," Y/N said. Klaus looked at her, nodding his head in agreement.

Isadora spoke next. "Why would our parents have a device for cracking codes?"

"And why would our parents have the same device?" Klaus continued.

Y/N went into deep thought as the Baudelaires and Quagmires tried to detangle this mysterious web. Had their parents known each other? If so, why didn't their children know each other?  She wished she could help somehow. Klaus seemed to notice her zoned-out state and nudged her shoulder. 

"You okay?" He whispered. 

"Yeah, don't worry about it". She assured him. 

Klaus looked unconvinced, but let it go nevertheless. 

Everybody watched in awe as Violet built a series of mechanisms, which scared away the litter of crabs scampering on the floor. It also gave the place a little style. 

"A book in our Aunt Josephine's place looks like it might contain some answers," Klaus said.

"Is it this one?" Duncan asked as he showed his sketchbook to Klaus. It was a drawing of a book, named "The Incomplete History of Secret Organizations". Klaus nodded. 

Huh, interesting, Y/N thought. Both of their guardians had the same book. 

The group concluded that there must be more copies of the book, so they set out to the library to find it. 

Their search, however, was fruitless since the library, unfortunately, didn't have the book. 

"RING RING RING!" the alarm went, signifying that the library should now be closed. Vice Principal Nero barged in not long after that. 

"Report to the athletic field in ten minutes. Attendance is mandatory. Mandatory means that anyone who doesn't come has to buy my candy and watch me eat it." He said.

"He wouldn't." Violet and Klaus said in unison. 

"He would." Duncan, Isadora, and Y/N replied, also in unison. 

"I would," Nero said with a vicious smile. 

"You're vile," Sunny added. 

"Oh, he definitely is" Y/N replied. 

The group then walked towards the Baudalaires' shack. 

"The pep rally lasts for hours, we can sneak in some fruits," Isadora said. 

"And I'll bring in some chocolate" Y/N added.

"Thank you," Violet replied with an expression of gratitude. 

"Oh, it's no trouble" Isadora and Y/N replied with smiles on their faces. 

"I don't mean for the treats, I meant for making us feel at home," Violet said.

"We haven't felt at home in a long time" Klaus replied with a sombre expression.

"I'm sure you already know" Y/N started. 

"Know what?" Klaus asked. 

"What friends are for." Duncan and Isadora continued. 

The group exchanged smiles, content in finding good company after a long time. 

They then parted, before meeting again at the pep rally.