Chapter 9

Y/N walked to the library, determined. 

As she entered, she saw Ms. Caliban, she began to greet her with a smile. 

"Oh hey, Ms. Caliban what were you doi-"

She stopped mid-sentence as she stared at the state of the library. Books were thrown everywhere, ripped papers scattered, and shelves toppled down. But there was only one item which seemed to be in good shape. She bent down and turned the book over. She gasped.

The Incomplete History of Secret Organizations. 

She looked around the library once again. It was as if there had been a fight in here, a struggle. Her eyes widened in realisation. This must have been the place Isadora and Duncan were before they got kidnapped, the kidnapping took place here. 

She looked up at the shocked Ms. Caliban once again. 

"Ms. Astor please excuse me but I believe I'll have to make an appointment with a very sick banker. Oh, and I'll be leaving the school as well." Ms. Caliban said as she cleared her throat. She was growing sick of seeing her precious library reduced to these circumstances. 

"What? You're leaving?" 

"Not permanently, but I'm taking an unpaid sabbatical."

Y/N walked to Ms. Caliban and hugged her. She was the only authority in the school whom she liked. Was everyone she knew going away?

"I'll miss you too Y/N, and I'll do everything I can to help the Baudelaires, the Quagmires and you." Ms. Caliban said with a sombre smile. 

"I don't doubt that for a second Ms. Caliban," Y/N said as she pulled away from the hug. 

They bid each other goodbye and Y/N picked up the book and began to read. Familiar letters sprung up to her eyes. V.F.D? Wait, V.F.D. That's what Isadora and Duncan were saying! They were trying to inform us! Y/N realised. She urgently flipped through the pages and started at the very first, trying to understand as much as possible. That was until she heard footsteps. She turned to find Vice Principal Nero. 

"Vice Principal Nero?"

"Yes, it is I. Anyways, come along brat, your parents have pulled you out of this school."

Wait, what?

"Huh?"

"Yes, effective immediately. Go to your dorm and pack your things."

She hid the book behind her back and quickly made her way up to her dorm as she began to think. Why had her parents pulled her out of the dorm? Was it because a child-endangering murderer had been on school premises? Yes. It was probably that. Y/N sighed as she looked around the hallways. Oh, the number of times she'd run through these because she had slept through her alarm. Oh, look! There was the pillar by where she'd first met the Quagmires. And there! That was the bench she'd often curl up with a good book. It was a horrible school, yes, but it was filled with many fond memories. 

She finally reached her dorm and packed her things quickly. She put her microwave into a suitcase and put all her clothes and toiletries into another. She put the large book in her backpack, so it would be easier to reach. She put on her backpack and held the two suitcases in each hand and looked around her dorm one last time. This was it, a 'goodbye' to Prufrock Prep. But who was she kidding? This school sucked, why was she getting emotional? She locked her dorm for the last time and made her way to the school's entrance. That was when she saw her parents. 

Her mom and dad greeted her with welcoming smiles as she ran up to hug them. 

"I missed you guys so much," Y/N said, meaning every word. 

"We missed you too, munchkin. But tell me, how's the microwave?" Y/N's dad replied. 

"Amazing. I haven't blown it up yet, In fact,  I've been improving a lot." Y/N spoke. 

"You're my daughter after all." Y/N's mom chimed in. 

"Hey!" Y/N's dad exclaimed, acting hurt. 

The family shared a laugh and Y/N smiled in bliss. Oh, how she had missed her family. 

"I'm guessing you pulled me out of school because of Olaf?" Y/N asked. 

"Yes, well, that, and another reason." F/N said, with a hesitant tone as he looked at his wife. 

M/N looked over at her husband, and communicated something with her eyes, to which F/N dad nodded. Huh?

"Y/N dear, we have something to tell you." Y/N's mom spoke.

"What?"

"Well, long before you were born, your dad and I were part of an organization of sorts. That organization was-"

Y/N took a blind shot in the dark and said: "V.F.D?"

M/N was taken aback. "W-what? How'd you know about that?"

"I found this book in the library," Y/N said, as she opened her backpack to reveal The Incomplete History of Secret Organizations. 

Her parents' eyes widened. 

"Oh. I know this must be a lot to process sweetie, your parents being spies and all, do you have any questions for us?" Y/N's mom asked.

"No not rea- wait. YOU GUYS WERE SPIES?"

"Yeah, I thought you knew about that since you have the book."

"Well Mom, I didn't get past the first page before being kicked out of school. Speaking of, what was the other reason?"

"Well munchkin, your mom and I decided that we'd wait until you were thirteen to begin your training to be a part of the organization, that is, if you want to be a part of it." F/N revealed. 

Y/N paused for a moment. Her loving parents, who she'd known all her life, were spies. She couldn't imagine her dad, who was the king of dad jokes, holding someone at gunpoint. Or her mom, who'd always laugh when a child slipped, injure someone. Although, she could kind of imagine that. Anyways, being a spy was kinda cool. Did she want to sneak around, and go on secret missions? Hell yeah.

"Yes, I'll be a part of it. Oh my god, I can't believe I'm actually going to be a spy!" Y/N  squealed as she jumped around. 

Y/N's parents shared a sweet smile, looking at their daughter with fondness. 

The family got into the car and drove home, playing car games along the way. It was pure bliss, although, she had to listen to her dad's weird jokes the whole way through. 

"What kind of car does Yoda drive?" F/N asked with excitement. 

"Oh no please, save me from this torture" Y/N groaned. 

"A Toyoda!" F/N spoke as he howled in laughter. 

"Honey, please keep your eyes on the road. I don't want to die over a Yoda joke." M/N reminded.

"Whatever you say, darling." F/N replied with a smile. 

━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━

The second they reached home, Y/N flopped on the sofa. 

"Home sweet home" She sighed. 

M/N chuckled. 

Y/N propped her feet up on the sofa and thought. Becoming a member of V.F.D. was surely going to lead her to Isadora and Duncan, and maybe she could find out about the Quagmires and the Baudelaires' parents as well. She would have to begin training immediately. 

"Tell me, Ma, what's the first step to training?"

M/N smiled softly. "Reading the book."

Y/N pulled the book out of her back at once and tried to absorb as much information as possible.