Chapter 1

The trio of Baudelaires sat on the bench in front of the Administration's office in the Austere Academy. After being tossed from guardian to guardian, they were enrolled into Prufrock Preparatory School. 

To put it simply, they were tired. Tired of being alone. Tired of having to face the treacheries of the world. They were tired of having to escape Count Olaf, time and time again. And quite frankly, they had not had a good night's sleep in a long time either. 

With a loud click-clacking of shoes, they looked up to see a girl with vibrant red hair and piercing blue eyes. She wore a bright pink dress with a large red broch on the collar. 

"Hello, cake-sniffers!" the girl spoke.

"Hello, um.." Violet started, unsure of what her name was.

"Um.." the girl mocked. "Are you a blithering idiot? Everyone knows I'm Carmelita Spats." She taunted.

"I'm Violet Baudelaire and these are my siblings, Klaus and Sunny," Violet said. Sunny did a little wave as she said so. 

"What does cake-sniffer mean?" Klaus inquired. 

"It means you're stupid cake-sniffers but I'm the most special girl in the whole school," Carmelita said. 

After their short exchange, Carmelita began giving them a tour of the school, while continuing to call them a term which was most certainly not a compliment.

After roaming the halls and the athletic field, they made their way towards the library. 

A lady with black-rimmed glasses was carrying a large stack of books while talking to a girl with chocolate stuffed in her mouth. 

"Y/N that amount of chocolate cannot possibly be good for you," The lady said. 

The girl, presumably named Y/N, looked up at her and spoke with her mouth full of chocolate: "Ms. Caliban, respectfully, I'm going to ignore everything you just said". Y/N had H/C hair, braided into a French plait with two pieces in the front, framing her face. She shifted her eyes to the people standing in front of them.

Ms. Caliban took notice of this as well and said: "Oh, hello! The new students I've heard so much about, the Baudelaires, right?" 

"You shouldn't talk to the library lady, she smells funny" Carmelita pointed out. 

"Oh piss off Carmelita" Y/N retorted, popping another piece of chocolate in her mouth. 

"Why- Y- agh!" Carmelita scoffed and walked away.

"A library is like an island in a vast sea of ignorance" Klaus spoke.

"Particularly if the library is tall and the surrounding area has been flooded" Ms. Caliban and Y/N spoke at the same time. Though, Y/N had her mouth full of chocolate so what she said wasn't exactly clear. 

Klaus turned his attention to Y/N.  He was intrigued by her. He noticed how she didn't even hesitate for a moment to snap back at Carmelita. He noticed how she finished his sentence earlier before, indicating that she was quite the reader. He also noticed how ethereal she looked, even with her mouth stuffed with chocolate. 

Violet noticed how her brother had been staring at Y/N and whispered "It's rude to stare you know." to Klaus, making him snap back to reality and blush as he avoided his sister's knowing gaze. He decided to introduce himself.

"I'm Klaus Baudelaire and these are my sisters, Violet and Sunny."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Baudelaire's, I'm Y/N Astor, would you like some chocolate?"

"S-Sure" Klaus said, a bit taken back by this offer.

Y/N broke off three pieces from her chocolate bar and handed each piece to the Baudelaires.

"Would you like some more?" she inquired.

"No, I'm good" he responded.

"I'm fine as well, thank you for the chocolate" Violet replied softly, taking a bite. 

Carmelita came back and said, "Let's go!"

"Well, come visit!" Ms Caliban said, walking backwards into the library with her books stacked on her head. 

Y/N checked her watched and her eyes went wide. "OH SHOOT. I HAVE TO GET TO CLASS. IT WAS NICE MEETING YOU BAUDELAIRES, I'LL SEE YOU AT LUNCH!"

The Baudelaires watched in amusement as she ran off, waving. 

"I like her." Sunny babbled.

 "So do I Sunny. And I'm sure Klaus does too" Violet said, as she sent a teasing look at Klaus. 

"I-I like her too" He mumbled. 

"I DON'T HAVE ALL DAY, CAKE-SNIFFERS" Carmelita shouted. 

The Baudelaire's looked at each other and ran to catch up to her.